Sign in to follow this  
Eggster

Fitting electric windows

Hi all

New to the site today. Picking up my first Corrado tomorrow (Fri) after many other VW's over the years. It's a 1990 1.8 16V in fantastic all original condition etc etc.

I have the chance of a pair of electric widow motors/mechanisms (complete) for both doors and I was wondering if it is possible to retro-fit these to a 'non-electric window' model.

Are the fixing points for the electric mechanism already in the door (as well as the hand mechanism)?

Is there likely to be an electric supply (from the loom) in the door to pick up a supply?

Also Is it possible to fit the switch where the wider is ?

It looks about in the same place on either version, or, is this a factory only option that cannot be retro fitted?

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Retroftiiting the elec window mechs isn't as easy as it would initially seem. You need the entire system out of the donor car. The non-elec window cars have a different loom for the central locking too, while the elec window cars have part of the central locking and elec window looms combined.

Having said that, all the mounting points etc will be there for you to fit the motors to.

Needed: Driver side + passenger side mech. Looms including relays, switches and the central locking loom.

The manual widow mechs are rivveted into the doors, but can be drilled out. The front seats and carpets will have to be lifted, as the loom to be fitted runs across the footwell and over the centre console just behind the handbrake. Getting the new loom fitted is time consuming, especially threading it through into the doorframe, but isn't too difficult.

The motors + mech will need to be rivvited back into the doorframe, but all the mounting holes will be in the door already. :wink:

Thanks. I thought it would either be 'easy' or 'a pain in the a***'! I'm not afraid of a bit of modification, I've built Streetfighter motorcycles out of race bikes before (bikes are my other passion), but it's the time nowadays!! :mad2:

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it some thought.

To be honest I'd stick with the manual windows....they are quite rare and a bit of an 'early Corrado' novelty! :wink:

I've already got an electric kit but have had to pospone putting it in due to funding issues.

I probably won't be taking my manual kit out until the new year.

Hello, I am currently striping my corrado in prep for track days. I have elec windows and am keen to convert to manual. Would you consider doing a swap?

I have arranged to swap my electric windows with someone's manual windows. If anyone can give me an idea of the work involved on my side, I would very much appreciate it.