Sign in to follow this  
Saint Tricky

Air flow direction controller removal?

Hi

I've an early model C and my air flow direction controller box destroyed itself today. I was going to work and changed the air flow to the windscreen, funny noise followed by lots of foam pieces blowing in the cabin.

Closer inspection revealed the little cogs around the back at weird angles and the box has pulled away from the vent housing behind the centre console.

Can I remove the controller and replace it without removing the heater matrix or are they fixed together?

I really don't want to be doing the heater matrix at this time of year.

Thanks

ST

Its not so much an issue of the heater matrix removal, but the dismantling of the housing, which is the only way you can get to the parts that are broken, and fix the air control doors, etc. Its much much easier if you have taken off the entire air exchange housing. One has to clean it out completely, replace all the soft foam gaskets, use silicone grease to loosen all of the cogs which arent broken, and replace all the cogs which are.

DONT forget to label your bowden cables, and to fit the heater sides back in place BEFORE you fix it all back onto the firewall. If you've not done it before it takes approx:

- 1 1/2 hours to remove the dash and safely label your bits;

- 10 mins to 1 hour to unfreeze and loosen the heater exchange unit from the firewall (engine side). Do this slowly. Do not rush. the nuts can seize onto the studs and drive them out, so be prepared to use a mole wrench and spanner, and work slowly.

- 1 hour to trace all the joints and connections and undo the entire exchange housing and remove from car.

- 2 to 4 hours to clean and repair bits (assuming they are easily available). I had to order my parts, and wait 4 days.

- 3 hours to reassemble.

Thanks for your advice.

I've done a lot of research since my question was posted and now realise what a daft question it was, obviously the heater matrix is tightly fitted inside the heater exchange box.

I managed to pick up a heater exchange unit box complete with sliders and cables. Cleaned it all out and made sure the foam is good. (replaced one bit) greased up the cables and checked the fitment operates the flaps correctly. Fitted a brand new heater matrix (nothing wrong with the old one but for £40 it's better to do it now)

I have the centre console, dash undertrays, glove box, air ducting and passenger seat all removed.

I've checked the 3 bolts in the engine bay and they undo fine without problems.

So I'm waiting for the weekend when I can hopefully remove the old one without resorting to taking out the whole dash and refitting the spare one that I have.

I know some have managed to do it like this and others have had to remove the whole dash. It's about time this car gave me a bit of a break and this weekend would be a good time to start.

Cheers

ST