Sign in to follow this  
GlosterOx

KR Cams

I have recently bought a set of the above off the forum to fit in my 2.0 16V and took them into work to get them Crack detected thru' our NDT Dept ("Non Destructive Testing").

The one cam with the small sprocket on it was fine but the other has 2 cracks all through it on the large pulley, as below:2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfMPI Checking of Corrado KR Cams 007 (Small).jpg[/attachment:1pq7dxb7]MPI Checking of Corrado KR Cams 011 (Small).jpg[/attachment:1pq7dxb7]

The pulley appears to be held on by a bolt and I need to know if this is interchangeable with the one on my standard 9a Cam - Also as a complete novice, is this "cracked" one the Inlet or Exhaust Cam?

Any advice gratefully received.

Ian :(

Yes the pulley is removable, you just need to take out that bolt and the washer behind it.

Excuse my rudeness, but is that actually cracked? If it was cracked all the way through you would be able to tell by using the naked eye. The yellow/green light looks like it's just reflecting off the scratches on the surface of the pulley :scratch:

that's the 'exhaust' cam and is the same as the 9a one, only the inlet is different on the KR engine, if the teeth on the chain drive (inter cam drive pulleys) are different from your 9A to these KR ones (sometimes they have more rounded teeth for quieter operation) you could swap the 9A belt pulley over to use the KR exhaust cam rather than your 9a one, as these are the same part too.

Excuse my rudeness, but is that actually cracked? If it was cracked all the way through you would be able to tell by using the naked eye. The yellow/green light looks like it's just reflecting off the scratches on the surface of the pulley :scratch:

I assume that the lines are the NDT fluid in the cracks showing up under the black light thing, not scratches.

Yeah, look up NDT techniques. There's some clever stuff including the use of the flourescent gipper above, x rays and ultrasonic testing.

Toad,

Yes you are right, it is the NDT fluid showing up - We checked under a high powered microscope as well just to confirm. For anyone interested, this is Magnetic Particle Inspection that can only be used on metallic parts - For aluminium or other alloys you use Dye Penetrant Testing, which you check under Ultraviolet light.

We test large Airbus (A340 + A380) Main Landing Gear Ribs that the undercarriage attach to on each side, some of these weigh up to 1/2 a Ton and are machined from solid aluminium - These are tested using Electrostatic Dye Penetrant and a picture is attached below:

Thanks for everybodies help and advice.

Ian :clap:

Who is it you work for? I did learn a bit about NDT when I was doing a degree in materials engineering at Swansea a few years ago, but I've forgotten most of what I learnt :(

Don't miss the hours I spent in mettalurgy hand polishing nimonic alloy samples though.

I work for an Aerospace Surface Treatment and Engineering Co based near Stroud, Glos - Have a large NDT Dept and an even bigger Spray shop. Close to 140 people work there spread over approx 8 acre site.

Ian