Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Fitting brakes wasn't very successful, brake pipes?

went to fit the new calipers today with hoses, but couldn't get the old hose undone, where it joins to the solid line on the car.

am thinking that it will have to be renewed each side, does anyone know the size of copper pipe i need, i'll get a flaring tool and the end connectors, but where does the piping all go? is it hard to get to?

i guess there will be a load to do at the rear as well?

did you wirebrush the join to get access to the threads and then use plusgas aka the secret weapon?

the piping all goes to the brake master cylinder, or thereabouts. there is probably a T-point on the nearside of the engine bay where the lines run off to the rear and the main line runs on to the nearside brake caliper / hose join.

they're not too hard to get to no, the chassis has little holes cut in it where the brake pipes go through so just bend them to fit pretty much :salute:

we borrowed a 10mm spanner from the local garage, it was also a complete ring but with a slot in it? is that what you mean?

the nut seemed funny shaped, like a 10mm spanner went on one way, but trying to slot it on nut from another angle it wouldn't fit, as if the nut was oblong/squashed shape

i think so, it seemed a bit weird so i'd rather just renew those bits now i think.

can i get access to where the pipe goes if i take airbox out?

All your pipes go to the ABS valve block under the expansion tank - you'll see the 2 feed lines from the res and the 6 smaller ones that go to the calipers

Have you hit the pipe fittings with a hammer? I always do, and it makes me slightly happier about the process.