Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Please educate me.. alloy wheels..

Hello.. I was hoping someone could enlighten me. I'm not really into car tuning or cosmetic upgrades as a rule. Nothing against it, just each to their own and all that :lol:

However my VR6 has suffered from being a London car all its life and as a consequence the alloys are looking awfull.

I was thinking of getting them refurbished but second hand rims in excellent conditions I would imagine might be a cheaper way to go. Now this start me thinking maybe getting a second hand set of alloys might be feasible too. I don't really want any suspension modifications and I can't lower the car as its low enough for the road I drive in London already. I don't want to have to calibrate the speedo either so my numpty logic suggests I should be looking for a pair of 16's with a low profile tyre!?

Can anyone tell me I'm talking bollocks or let me know the 'lug pattern' or whatver wheels are measured in so I can know what to look for? I would also imagine that there must be a place where you can buy sell alloys on line too..

thanks in advance..

I havent got 16" wheels on my corrado, i have 17"

I should imagine a 16x7 wheel would be the best, with a 205/45/16 or a 205/40/16 tyer

The vr6 lug pattern is 5x100, and the wheel offset is 40 (i think)

as i say, i dont use 16" wheels, so im not 100% sure thats correct, but im sure some one else will correct me if im wrong

I think if you wanted to get your wheels refurbed, places charge on average about £30 a wheel. £120 isn't a lot of money for 'as new' wheels.

Never had this done though so not too sure on wheather that would be a good job for that price??

the finish on a refurb is never like the original. ive had wheels refurbed and wasn't impressed.

of course it also depends on the place that refurbishes them and how much you pay :wink: ......i had mine refurbed recently but had a minor change away from looking totally factory....i had a silver sparkle effect powder coat finish which i must say i'm very very impressed with....looks totally stock til you see them up close and in certain lights.....all that for under £40 per wheel :wink: