Sign in to follow this  
Koot

clutch problem, in need of advice..

I've got a '93 16v 'rado, and for the second time lost use of the gears, before the clutch was bled up and it has been fine until now.

After getting home on a low loader (lol), the clutch was bled the next day, still nothing. I put a new slave cylinder on and it's been bled through sweet, still no gears. The pedal was slamming to the floor, now there's a little resistance on the pedal however it's not returning and still no gears! The master cylinder was replaced in April.

I'm told it could be the clutch bearing or even the clutch plate??

I feel like my right arm has been cut off not having my car mobile, looking forward to getting on tools to fix it, just don't know what to replace.

I've had some sound advice off this site before and hope someone out there is familiar with this problem, if so, get back to me as soon as, I miss my wheels!!

Chrissie :sad:

Little resistance on peddle screams hydrolic problem to me. Did you pressure bleed it or use the pump the peddle method? I found that on my camper pressur ebleeding was the only way to firm up the clutch peddle. I have to admit to never looking at the clutch setup on my Rado yet but if it has any rubber pipework check it's not bulging under pressure.

Nick

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah pumped the pedal to bleed, not done pressure bleeding before, how do I do that? Will check the pipework tomorrow.

Chrissie

Garages have a pressure bleeder but you can buy them in Halfords. The home use ones have a cap that screws on your fluid bottle and then a pipe that attaches to the valve on your spare tyre. It then uses the air pressure in the tyre to force the fluid through the system. You just open and close the bleed nipple till you get nice fresh fluid with no bubbles. Just be careful and keep an eye on the fluid level in the bottle or it blows all the fluid through and fills your system with air!

nick

I wouldn't really recommend taking advice from people who haven't worked on this specific system before, it's a lot different to the clutch systems on non-hydro cars (no offence horney :salute).

Can you get the car into gear at all or does it just grind and crunch when you try to engage it? sounds a lot like clutch plate to me, ProdigalSon had this problem earlier this year. He spent £££ changing all the hydraulic parts and it turned out to the the clutch plate all along.

Try this if you can:

Turn the car off, select a gear, lift the clutch pedal back off the floor (hook your foot under if need be) then start the car. If you can drive it and get motion then the clutch plate is fine and the problem is hydraulic.

If you don't get any drive but a nasty graunchy crunch noise then the clutch plate is gone.

Where are you based Chrissie? Perhaps a kind local soul would be able to have a look, or can you take it to a garage to diagnose? (by take it i mean can they come and collect it?)

I wouldn't really recommend taking advice from people who haven't worked on this specific system before, it's a lot different to the clutch systems on non-hydro cars (no offence horney :salute).

None taken mate :-) I do have experience though as my minis had hydro clutches as does my T25 VW camper and I've worked on these systems more times than I would like to have done. The Rado system can't be that different as has already been mentioned it has a master and slave cylinder which will be connected by pipe/hoses.

Anyhoo none of that really matters. You're advice re testing for drive is bob on.

Nick :clap:

I wouldn't really recommend taking advice from people who haven't worked on this specific system before, it's a lot different to the clutch systems on non-hydro cars

How to make freinds and influence people vol. 1.