Jim Bowen

Mk4 Golf Rear Calipers Upgrade. Re: Parts

As with the front brake thread, i'm still in the middle of doing this, hoping to fit everything next week. Just wanted to compile all the info i've found out with your help. Should help others and they won't have to make 100 threads like i do :lol:

I was refurbing some corrado rear calipers i bought, but halfway through discovered how naff they are and prone to seizing, i've had lots of annoyance with my handbrake and been informed the mk4 calipers are much better.

WHAT YOU NEED:

Mk4 Golf Calipers = VW Part numbers: 1J0 615 423 & 1J0 615 424 = £76.50 + vat each

DSC01158.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

They fit the standard corrado carriers, so no need to change them, but you may want to get some slider pins (depending on condition of yours) these aren't availiable seperately, you have to buy the whole carrier.

I got a 2nd hand set in good condition, so i can reuse the best out of the 8 i will have once i've taken old brakes off car.

(note the two different types, one type has a flat area running down

DSC01146.jpg

The golf calipers also use the standard corrado discs and pads, so just buy them to suit your car.

DISCS -To suit Standard corrado, non vented discs.

DSC01147.jpg

PADS - To suit Standard corrado pads

DSC01148.jpg

REAR WHEEL BEARINGS: Not sure these have to be done, but they are pressed into the discs so easier to replace then messing around getting old ones out. VW Part number: 191 598 625 = £16.32 + vat each (you need 2no)

DSC01159.jpg

REAR BRAKE HOSES: The golf calipers don't use the same fittings as the corrado, so you need a Goodridge hose set, called a mk2-mk4 conversion kit, meant for a mk2 golf, and are a banjo fitting instead of the screw in hoses. Goodridge Part number: SVW0506-2P

DSC01164.jpg

HANDBRAKE CABLE: Optional really, but i'm getting new as i'm doing most other stuff. VW part number: 1H0 609 712E = £11.32 + vat each (you need 2no)

DSC01161.jpg

DSC01160.jpg

If i've missed anything or got anything wrong feel free to tell me, as i'm no expert

Edited by Jim Bowen
I moved photos on photobucket, so fixing the broken links

whats the mk4 clip for the handbrake cable?

will i need them? :lol: ffs :(

am not doing the ABS ring....

also whats the mk3 carriers and bolts for? don't tell me i need them aswell :(

Feck, £179.78 just for the calipers, surely they can be had cheaper from elsewhere other than VW ??

I have all the bits bar the calipers and the carriers ? Can the carriers be bought new direct from VW and any idea of prices mate ?

Called Big-Red and they can do new ones, fully powder-coated in red or other colours for £165 delivered (as long as you send them old calipers back) or £205 delivered (if old ones not set back). Black ones are £125 delivered (no surcharge) or £165 (surcharge inc.). Standard finish (electroplated) are £140 delivered per pair (no surcharge) or £180 delivered (surcharge).

Think will end up getting the Big-Red powdercoated red ones, if I send them back my G60 ones and a spare old MK4 one I have lying around will only be £145 delivered which is not too bad really, compared to VW price.

i looked around for alternatives to buying from VW, phoned biggred and they had one new one and one refurbed one, and wanted £156 for them, without sending anything back

ebay only turned up some that looked non-genuine to me.

i asked about the carriers and they were £60 each iirc, thats with the pins and boots. I didn't want to spend any more money so didn't get them

still can't undo the brake line on the front where it joins to car, think i've buggered the nut up now :(

also do i need to put some kind of grease in the bearings and do i need someone to press them into the discs?

i should have a read of the bentley manual later really

Have fun with a flaring tool and copper pipes :) I feel your pain :lol:

Copper lines should also be added to the list of parts as the chance of doing this upgrade without replacing these is very slim.

also do i need to put some kind of grease in the bearings and do i need someone to press them into the discs?

i should have a read of the bentley manual later really

Yes, plenty, and yes. :)

nice one chaps, thanks.

i think i'm going to get one of those copper pipe tools, i will be getting a decent one as i also need to do the lines on the land rover at some point, so me and a friend can split the cost of that. What size pipe do i need, and the screw nut thingys?

What type of grease do i need? :lol:

so many questions....

Have you hit it with a hammer and punch yet?

no :lol:

but i've learnt that the metal part of a light bulb stays hotter for longer than the glass bit :mad2:

I got fed up of waiting for the rear calipers to show up on eBay so I sourced my rear mk4 calipers from volkswagenspares for £75. They were in good condition and it didn't take much to clean them up and paint them red as they are made out of aluminum.

The front ones were a different matter. I got them for £60 off eBay in quite good condition but being made out of steel, even the small amount of rust that it had, it took bloody ages to grind off.

http://www.car-partsonline.com/Brake_Calipers_34.asp

3corsameal,

what model of MK4 Golf do those part nunbers that you posted up correspond to ? Can you use MK4 calipers from ANY MK4 Golf ? Just want to try and get them a bit cheaper than from VW or BigRed and have seen some for £55+VAT each but they have no part numbers just model type,

Cheers

i'm not sure, i just got the part numbers given to me on here by supercharged (i think)

when i went to VW originally the chap told me there was several different ones, i guess the later the letter in the number the later the model of car, maybe they kept revising the brakes?

as i found ones starting with 1D0, 1H0, 1J0 etc

ordered a nice brake line flaring tool, a skyes pickavant one, better be good as that was another £100 :(

Just ordered a pair of alloy MK4 calipers for £103 delivered which was good price, and will paint them red myself. And seeing as I saved money here, ordered a pair or new caliper carriers and slider pins from VW for £127.04 delivered. So brake spec now will be as follows:

Brembo 4-pot front calipers with alloy carriers

305x28mm front brembo slotted discs

Brembo pads

MK4 alloy rear calipers

New VW G60 rear caliper carriers

Brembo rear discs

AP Racing rear pads

Also have new bearings front and rear and new handbrakes cables to fit as well, should be a massive improvement !

Cheerds

sounds awesome setup, i take it you haven't got standard wheels to fit those front brakes?

are you also planning to do anything with the "hard" brake lines? my tool arrived today for making flared ends, just waiting for all the pipe and stuff to turn up so i can practise

Dunno about doing anything with the hard brake lines, will just be getting garage to fit everything tbh at same time. Wheels are ETA Porsche "Turbo" twist 3-piece split rims in 8x17" size all round, plenty of clearance I think (have seen Brfembo's fitted to cars that have these wheels).

i've found the hard lines to be a bit of a state after 13yrs, so having to replace those as well now.

bit of a pain but seems a worth while thing to do

Definitely a worthwhile conversion going down the MK4 route. My handbrake was just for decoration until i sorted the rear beam and all the brakes to Mk4 items..

Just some more bits ill add to this thread, seeing as they arrived now.

Brake pipe flaring tool, required if you want to replace your brake lines, Worth while getting a semi decent one if your not experienced, the cheaper ones are a bit naff from what i've read.

This was about £100 off ebay and comes with the other tools, like cutter, bender, and derburring tool

DSC01174.jpg

DSC01175.jpg

Brake pipe and unions, the pipe is 3/16" or 4.76mm, the unions are 10mm and i ordered some 12mm and some spare bleed nipples (not sure why i got the nipples as the brakes all have new ones anyway, does the master cylinder have some?)

DSC01176.jpg

ordered from:

http://www.brake-pipe.co.uk/

This was about £100 off ebay and comes with the other tools, like cutter, bender, and derburring tool

To be honest I reckon getting that sort of thing is overkill. The cheap ones work fine once you get the knack of it; they're just a bit... cheap.

If you were a garage and you're doing a entire car's worth of brake lines every other day or whatever, then fair enough though.

If only you had bought that kit before Edition when I needed some made up urgently. I got sorted but maybe you might want to put the kit into use offering members a brake pipe making service :lol:

Surely now your taking the C to a garage, they will have the tools for making the brake pipes anyway?

the funny thing is that now i'm going to pay someone else to fit brakes :lol: i lost interest after the fuel leak and bonnet getting stuck :(

i bought the kit with a mate so the cost was split, plus its the same mate i bought a land rover 101 with, and we need to do the complete brake system on that, its being stripped down to bare chassis and built up so easier to fit the pipes than the corrado

the kit is great, really easy to use, every flare and bend has been perfect and i never used one before. Am sure if i had templates of brake lines i could make new ones quite easily, but posting them out without them bending would be the problem