Sign in to follow this  
alackofspeed2

Checking ABS fault codes 1994 VR6

Hi all,

I'm helping a friend with a few issues on his 1994 Corrado VR6. One of the (many!) issues is an ABS fault, which manifests as the light coming on as soon as the car starts moving, and no pump action if you slam the anchors on. Clearly there's a sensor issue, but we'd rather not replace parts on each wheel in turn, until the fault is solved.

I've searched the forum for an idiots guide to obtaining, using, and connecting vag-com to this generation of VW, but I've not managed to suss what needs to be bought / downloaded to be able to talk to the abs ecu.

If someone could run me through an idiots shopping / download list, and then explain where the plug is on the corrado, it would be really appreciated. Incidentally, I've found an OBD2 port on the car, but as the car has a number of mk4 golf parts in the centre console (climatronic, dvd sat nav) I'm unsure if the port is a mk4 part just there to fill a void, or if it's connected to anything!

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

John.

1994 Corrado VR6. ... an ABS fault, which manifests as the light coming on as soon as the car starts moving, ....a sensor issue [?].. rather not replace parts on each wheel in turn, until the fault is solved... found an OBD2 port on the car

The ABS light is a very crude trigger which tells you that the ABS brain has gone offline and stored a fault which needs reading. It is true that the sensors do go, about 1 every 2-3 years. Its also quite common for Corrado Vr6 ABS brains to stop working once every 5 years. The pump can also force a failure, although the pumps tend to be quite reliable. Get down to a local backstreet garage which has an OBDII diagnostic system- they will usually interrogate the ABS brain for about £30 cash. Write down all of the fault codes and come back and post the fault code here. We can go from there.

I wouldnt worry about the climatronic adaptation on your car. It was probably a very good idea. Whoever fitted that knew what he was doing, and probably got the OBDII port properly wired in the process. It is possible to use the climatronic's own brain to give you a readout on the current fault status, if it was wired in to read the K lines properly.

For now, come back with the fault code.