Sign in to follow this  
Republic Of Mancunia

Laid Up Insurance

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone else on here has 'laid up' or just fire and theft insurance?

I'm changing jobs in the next few weeks and I'm going to be doing quite a lot of miles so obviously having a thirsty VR isn't the greatest daily drivers. I don't want to sell the Corrado, so was looking to insure it just for fire and theft for the time being.

Can anyone suggest an insurance company that will do this? Or if anyone else is currently doing this and how much they pay?

I’m currently with Direct Line, they will offer me this service but can’t tell me how much it will cost! The cheapest quote I've had elsewhere is £950 which is about £400 more than I pay for full comp at the moment!!!

I thought about classic car insurance but most places say that the car has to be over 15 years old and with mine being a 95 I’m 2 years out.

Any information would be great.

Thanks

I looked at this myself but found it better just to have a low miles policy, agreed value etc etc and just use that. I found it was going to get difficult changing the policy every 6 months or so when i wanted to put the car back on the road...

I've been looking for such a policy for the last 5 years..... however knowone wants to insure my VR for TPFT. i'm on limited mileage policy used to be 5K miles a year now lowered it to 3K miles as i only use it when the sun shines.

last year i paid C £200 for a fully comp policy, kept in the garage....

Sounds like a limited mileage policy is the way to go then. Do you mind me asking who you're with at the moment? Do you have a 2nd daily driver car? How have you got on with using your no claims across multiple policies?

I found the cheapest way to to insure two cars (for driving) was to have two separate policies. If you have built up a decent NCB and it is only yourself on the second car most companies will match your NCB to the other car. Brentacre got me the best deal.

Yep - Adrian Flux seem very good to me.

Had the Rado on limited mileage discount, but switched to off road cover last month. Got a refund on the policy, so can't say exactly how much it costs, but is somewhere around the £100 mark.

Going to insure the Passat with them also. Everytime I call, they are courteous, knowledgeable and based in the UK.

Top job.

Yep - Adrian Flux seem very good to me.

Consistantly lowest place for me for the last 10 years. Have managed to push them down the last two years but still happy, totally wrapped my no fault parking damage case within 6months which is quick! :lol: :lol: Very good.