Sign in to follow this  
CrazyG

Fuel Leak??

Everytime I go to fill up my VR6 there is a puddle of fuel sitting under the filler neck when I open the flap. I always have to use half a dozen paper towels to mop it up and I have no idea where it's coming from. I filled up last night and after driving about 15 miles I checked inside the flap again... no puddle, but I guarantee it will be back by the time it needs filling again. There doesn't appear to be fuel leaking from anywhere else but it's still a worry.

There is also a problem with the central locking pin on the fuel flap where it locks itself again shortly after the car is unlocked and it's extremely annoying. I'm fairly sure the two issues are unrelated but you never know. Any ideas?

Hi Graham :wave:

Do you brim your tank when you fill up? And is the non-return plate (the silver disc that you push the filler nozzle past) working OK? Does it spring closed hard and quick?

I'm thinking that the pooling of fuel could be because there's some slopping in the neck that is getting past the plate and just sitting in the fold of the bodywork... :shrug:

Handbrake turns or other swift left-handers could be contributing factors when the tank is full! :nuts:

Hey Andy :wave:

Yes, I do brim the tank when I fill up and the non-return plate is working just fine. The fuel seems to be coming up through the hole at the bottom of the rubber surround but it doesn't come up immediately after I've filled the tank :?

Handbrake turns are out-of-the-question now - I don't want to have to shell out for new tyres as well as the secondary water pump replacement that I had yesterday :(

Still, you don't run a VR6 to save money, do you?!! 8)

The hole at the bottom of the rubber surround is the overflow outlet, so if you gush it at the pump it drips down inside the wheel arch and onto the road.

If that rubber pipe is blocked, any gush would just sit in the pipe and would expand when it warms up and slosh around the area below the filler neck - I guess the temp of the fuel coming out of an underground tank is a lot cooler than daily ambient, so that could be it...

To clear the tube, get a pipecleaner or even some bike gear/brake cable and push the blockage out, then see if it occurs again :wink:

Well, I'm chuffed! The overflow outlet is clear and the central locking pin works. Both problems were caused by a huge amount of caked-on filth behind the rubber boot :lol: