Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Number Plate Plith removal...

Hi Guys and Gals,

Is there a dark art to removing the rear Plate plinth without breaking it? :confused4:

Want to get an un-broken one off a scrap tail-gate and scared that I'll make it look like the broken one on my car! :mad2:

Warmage required as the glue at the bottom edge of it is very very sticky! not too much warmage though, otherwise it will distort like fook. I broke the Badcrumble's getting it off :(

And after 15 years they tend to be a little brittle!

Patience, a hairdryer and a craft knife are probably the best things you can use.

if you havent already, remove all of the pressed metal nuts from the inside of the boot lid, dont be surprised if some of them snap off though.

then as mentioned use a hairdrier or carefully use a heatgun to gradually heat the bottom edge to soften the adhesive while gently pulling the top edge outward.

if you dont seem to be getting anywhere with the heat or you are worried about melting it, get yourself one of those cheapo retractable knives and extend the blade fully, then pull the top out just enough to get the knife behind it, and slice away at the double sided foam that holds it on.

Anyone know a number for the pressed metal nuts. My Stealers had no joy, although I couldn't see it on the screen either! Would be a load better than the old self tapper!