Sign in to follow this  
Jules

Rear Lights Wiring....quick question

I don't have a clue with electricals so can anyone help?

I need to know which cables going into the rear lights are the live and earth. I think the brown cable is the earth??

Each light has it's own live wire, and I think there is a common earth to all of them. best bet is to get a multimeter and find the earth, then you could go round and work out which live is which

Brown is always earth on VW's.

Is it just one side you are having issues with? - reason being the passenger side loom comes across from the other side past the spoiler mech and the wires are not very well protected, if the mech has been out in the past and the wires have not been located back in the proper clips then you can get a short...

I should have explained what it is I'm trying to do :)

I have resistors to fit ...due to me putting in LED bulbs in the rear indicator lights. So I need to know which wires are the live and earth.

I don't have a multimeter and thought that someone might have been able to tell me going by the colours of the wires?

Take a look through mariojosh's posts he did same thing and put a picture up IIRC... Think it was in an "all red rear" post. His do actually flash yellow too!

Live feed to indicator on left should be black/white and live feed to right should be black/green......if memory serves me correctly

Thanks guys

I managed to find the pic from mariojosh's post and I've managed to solder it correctly and it's worked. I'm just not sure the lights are bright enough though.

Right here's some pics I managed to get today when it was quite bright, and they look really poor. I could get away with these at night time I think, but not so sure on a bright day. I think I might need to try different LED bulbs :shrug:

lights2.jpg

lights.jpg