Sign in to follow this  
DILLIGAF_16V

Headlights Wont Turn Off!

Hi there.

I am a new corrado owner, pick it up sat morning and love it! i will do a newbie post and pictures but am in desperate need of help!

I drove it last week to test it and all the lights worked fine, i turned them on sat night and it was fine, they turned off and all was good.

Came back to it 30min later, went round to pick up a mate and came home, 5 min driving max, and the headlights now wont turn off. on the dash the instrament cluster illumination works correctly ( turns off with the lights switch ) and the front fogs only work when the headlight switch is on. so all that seems to be fine.

I have searched the forum but cant find anything quiet like this.

Any thoughts? getting a bit sick of popping the bonnet and unplugging the headlight loom everytime i stop!

Thanks

personally I wouldn't worry about it, the std lights are so weak you probably use more current for that little flashing LED for your alarm.

But if you want to fix it, I'd recommend a new headlight switch.

Is it and Early car (uptoJ) if so deffo go for new switch, for some reason VW decided to pump all the current through the switch so they get hot and break internally (usually heralded by a stiff switch).

If not then it might be a short somwhere in the loom?

Yeah - another vote for faulty headlight switch here.. or could also be water ingress / knackered-ness in relays if you have an aftermarket headlight loom fitted.

Came out to mine one morning last winter to find the headlights just on - it was parked up outside and hadn't been moved since the night before! Relays in mine (rather dodgy upgraded loom) were just shagged!

thanks for the replys

its a K plate.

the battery dies within 5 min if i leave them on, think the battery is subject too.

also i disconected the switch completely and they still stayed on!!!!

Yeah deffo not the switch!

It's likely to be a relay stuck on - I reckon you have a really poor upgrade loom fitted as there should be a relay per side and it's unlikely for 2 to stick at the same time...

Trace the wiring back from the lights to see if there are any relays, usually mounted close to the battery...

With luck if the original looms not been butchered you can just take it out and go back to standard.

Thanks for the info.

I`m based near birghton on the south coast. i asked this info because its been raining constantly and havent had time to get out there for a real poke about with the multimeter and test probe!

I used to be a auto electrician doing cliffords and stuff lol.

Many thanks for the help though ppl!

Cool you may find a lot of people asking favours then (me being on as my Clifford's shite at falsing!)

My money's on a dodgy uprated Headlight loom (or the realys in it) seeing as you've taken the switch out the equation!

Now when the weather's better lets see some photos of teh car too! :lol:

thanks for the info ppl.

the cars a matt black 2.0 16v which is stupidly low. the previous owner decided to take the headlights apart and paint them orange too lol!

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the headlight switch by any chance? decided to make a whole new lighting loom.