waynos

For those with hot start problems - lil update

mine is very similar - when turning the ignition, there will usually be a slight pause for a fraction of a second before the engine cranks over. Often, irrespective of the engine being cold or warm, when you turn the key there is a slight click from the engine bay (which i presume is the solenoid), but the engine does not crank over. Almost as if the immobiliser has cut in, although with that there is absolutely no sound.

I have changed the starter for a new one (twice in fact!) and replaced the ignition switch with a new VW one but still get these symptoms. There is not much of a pattern to it, for example even when the battery was obviously drained (yesterday) there was no pause in turning, just the turning speed was slower, but it fired up. I'm not convinced that the relay will solve the issue, but its just one thing to rule out.

What do you think Neil?

Just a left-field idea here - and I really hope you fixed it since this time last year! But, if not...I know your car used to be an auto. Mine has a cutout to prevent you starting it in any gear except Park or Neutral. Just wondering whether there's an equivalent for the manual-boxed cars (I assume not) and if not what you did with the auto wiring for this bit?

I've previously had trouble where turning the ignition on works fine, but turning the key does nothing - not even a click. It invariably turns out to be a slightly misaligned shifter - moving out of Park and back in always solves it. Just thinking aloud :)

Stone

Just completed this modification. Hopefully the weather gets warmer to help give this a real test. Anyway just wanted to point out to anyone who does this to check the relay they buy before wiing up according the diagram. Check the diode direction as you might find you need to switch it around to compensate. Luckily I noticed this before wiring it in.

Edited by borarob