Sign in to follow this  
taffyjenks

Starting Problem

I own a 1990 VW Corrado 1.8 16v and about 10 months ago I had a problem with the ignition switch so I replaced it with a genuine VW part.Recently I have had exactlly the same symptoms so I painstakingly removed everything again and replaced the switch again however the problem still exists.The vehicle is ftted with a Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser.The ignition lights come on but as soon a you turn the key that extra turn to engage the starter nothing happens.I have tried this with both the key in the ignition and with the switch removed.Does anyone have an idea what It could be.I removed all the plugs prior to replacement but I did attach the main plug to the switch.I assume the other plugs are just for indicators etc.All help greatly appreciated as I am now pulling out what little hair I have.

Thanks

Tony Jenkins.

p.s lovely cars many problems.

sometimes the connectors gets pushed out the back of the sockets when plugged back in (barbs aren't strong enough).

does the fuel pump prime?

if its the later sounds like immobiliser problem :bad-words:

The ignition lights come on but as soon a you turn the key that extra turn to engage the starter nothing happens.

Hi

Clean and tighten the spade connector to the starter solenoid. Oh, and get this thread moved to the engine section.

Hi I have this problem - I dont think it is such an easy fix tho' - are there any other suggestions?? dead starter motor?

Thanks for post, sounds easy.... think will try cleaning it up in place.

the Bentley manual warns of engine/gearbox alignment shifting if starter is removed?! is this an over cautious statement? perhaps somehting best left to a professional.