Sign in to follow this  
samthegram

2ltr 16v 9a - k-jet or ke-jet?

Help :help: I'm getting conflicting advice here, all the info specs about the 2ltr 16v say k-jet which needs to be tinkered with mechanically to tune it up. Stealth say it is ke-jet which can have a remap via the ecu. Which is right? :scratch: I don't want to pay £250 on a remap when i could have it ajusted at half the price.

2l has KE-jet stealth know there stuff. This is unless your car used to be a 1.8 and some1 has put a 2l in it. Stealth to tune it eitherway you wont be disappointed

KE-Jet for the 9a but I've been told by JKM in potsmouth that although it has more gizmos than a KR on K-Jet all the ECU does is adjust timing still and that any replacement chip will give 5bhp gain at best. The fuelling is still controlled by the airbox flap thingy.

Can you get Stealth to explain exactly what they do, how it works and what sort of results to expect as I too have a 9a and some money to spend on engine mods shortly!

Nick

the difference between the 2 is that you can tune the fuelling on k-jet by adjusting the control pressure on the warm up regulator (wur) which in turn adjusts fuelling across the rev range where the KE jet has a similar device to a wur that is controlled by the ecu, this way the ecu "can" adjust the fuelling by changing the control pressure.

I think thats right

yeah, been reading up on this a bit more lately, the K-jet (1989-91) 1.8 16v's have the Warm Up Regulator, this is essentially a mechanical way of adjsuting the control pressure in the metering head based on engine temp and load. It has most effect on mid range and full throttle enrichment.

The KE jet (1992-95 2.0 16v) had an electronic differential pressure regulator mounted on the side of the metering head, doing essentially the same job. So both timing and fuelling can be adjusted by the ECU.

The main issue with KE jet is it runs a lambda sensor and cat, so cams with overlap that can make good power on the 16v (to a certain extent the KR pair of cams) can damage the cat and sensor by allowing unburnt fuel down the exhaust.

KE jet can also be a bugger to troubleshoot as the system doesn't have very good diagnostics, it's really just plain K-jet with a few add ons.

Hmm... Anyway round the Cam/Cat/Lambda issue? Apart from not putting "lumpy" cams in it?

do what VW did on the mk3 16v I guess, higher lift but no overlap, ABF cams are supposed to be pretty good but not worth swapping over on a KR as it's much of a muchness.