Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

full beam doesnt work (upgraded wiring loom is in)

Hi people

I have an upgraded wiring loom in my VR6 as supplied by GAV H100VW ? (cant remember his user name it's been in there that long) many moons ago.

Ive had years of trouble free lighting with it, but just recently the full beam does not come on.

This is the scenario:

If there are no lights on at all and you pull the stalk to flash the lights, nothing happens.

If the light switch is on position 1 the normal "lower" brightness - the lights come on as usual and as they should, but again if you flash the lights, there is no change and the full bright beams (nearest to the radiator grille) dont come on.

if the main "brighter" lights are on i.e. position 2 of the switch, then the brighter lights come on as usual however this time, if you pull on the stalk, they go down to the lower brightness and no full beams come on.

It surely cant be the bulbs cos its unlikely both would go and also even if was the bulbs, surely they wouldnt revert to the position 1 equivalent of brightness when you try to use them?

Feels as though its a wiring issue where somthing has come off / moved etc. I've looked at all the spade connectors and they all seem to be in the same places they have been ever since the loom was fitted by me yonks ago.

Anyone got any ideas?

And while im here, quick fog light question... if one is not working (and im confident it IS just a bulb) it's not a unit replacement is it? I take it just the bulb can be changed on these?

Thanks.

sounds like the stalk is dead, the relays in the loom are obviously working fine if all dipped and main beams are still coming on.

When on full beam, if you hold the stalk in then the dipped beams will come on aswell so I would check your stalk for sure.

thanks for the advice Boost monkey.

daft as it sounds, how do i check the stalk? what i mean is, if i get the steering off etc, what am i actually searching for?

good question! I guess just check the contacts as it's obviously got points which make a circuit when you move the stalk.

I'll check the bentley when i'm home and try to post something up :salute:

Was there any solution to this problem? I'm getting exactly the same symptoms; bulbs are fine, fuses are all fine, wiring appears to be fine and the relays in the loom click when the full beam stalk is pulled. Like an old tree, I'm stumped :confused4: