Sign in to follow this  
mattkh

Idle control unit 1991 16v kr

The control module for the ISV (the idle control unit) is behind the centre console - don't ask me why, but that's what my Haynes manual tells me as well.

From memory, I was reading the instructions last week, it's what the Haynes manual suggests swapping out if you're getting strange readings when you check the wiring to the ISV. One of the many things I need to investigate with my idle issue.

run us through what you're trying to do and why.

Hi

I am trying to figure how to set up a test equipment to test an ISV on the bench.

What makes it buzz.

When it is buzzing, is it open ?

When on the car, when can I hear the click when it closes or opens ?

My Haynes manual (Golf) states the following - perhaps someone here will know how much this varies from the Corrado.

Section 4C - Fuel & Exhaust Systems - K-Jetronic - 16V Engines

3.3 If the system fault cannot be traced by using the previous test (that's checking the resistance of the temperature sender for diagnosing ISV problems) then check all associated wiring. If necessary, renew the control unit which is located behind the centre console.

Section 11.15 - Bodywork and fittings

Centre console.

1. Disconnect the battery earth lead

2. Unscrew and remove the gear level knob then unclip and remove the gater

3. Undo the retaining screws and pull free the console from its guides at the rear.

4. Refit in reverse order

Unfortunately it doesn't say which item behind the console is the control unit or how to recognise it.

when it is buzzing (vibrating) it is pulsing a small valve open and closed many many times a second (I forget the frequency) so yes it is working!

the thing that makes it buzz is the switched 12V+ supply: if you just connect a permanent 12V+ supply to it, it will go *click* and just stay open: this doesn't do anything useful though as when it is vibrating it is pulsing small amounts of air back into the intake system which is how it stabilises the idle.

That's how it makes sense in my mind!

Unfortunately it doesn't say which item behind the console is the control unit or how to recognise it.

Hi

Thank you. Apparently it is the size of a fag packet, and is black in color.

the thing that makes it buzz is the switched 12V+ supply:

Thank you. There is a feed from -ve teminal of the ignition coil to the idle control unit. This feed must be fluctuating from 0 to 12v at the frequency of the sparking at the plugs. Soooo the extra air to stabilise the idle is released into the inlet manifold at the same frequency. What an interesing design.