Sign in to follow this  
laazboy

newbie's G60 overheats

hi

im relatively new to fixing cars but bought a corrado a few months ago because i looove the car and wanted to learn how to work on the engine. since then it has gone fairly well apart from my overheating problem. i have trawled the previous posts and not found much which directly relates to my problem so figured i would ask.

the car works fine when its on clear roads but when i get into traffic the temperature creeps up over about 10 mins till the oil gets to about 114 with water constantly rising past 90, at which point i pull over and wait for it to cool down. (it does keep rising if i dont pull over.) i have had 2 split hoses since this started happening and so have changed them all. i also changed my radiator as i had one from a golf that i knew worked fine. unfortunately its still overheating in traffic which is beginning to annoy me.

apart from the radiator and hose changes i have also flushed the system and made sure the water to coolant (got the right coolant aswell) levels are correct.

any help would be good, but like i say im learning bout the engine so overly tech stuff i will struggle to follow

Have you checked the water pump and thermostat are working properly?

90 degrees isn't a lot for water temperature, the standard thermostat doesn't even open until 87! The system is pressurised and mixed with coolant after all so won't start boiling until somewhere over 100degrees.

What golf was the radiator from? if it's the wrong size that may be adding to your problems.

Checked the flow through the Water/oil cooler (where the Oil filter goes IIRC)?

Assume you have enough oil and the correct grade in there as well?

Where does the water temp get to?