Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Headlight alignment?

Right, I've done a search and can't find anything, and I feel I've contributed enough write-ups to entitle me to ask this, even if somebody immediately finds the link and posts it as a reply! :D

I've got my Ministry of Transport test on Thursday and the only thing I know that it MIGHT fail on is headlight adjustment. When I did my crack pipe replacement (which I wrote up :D ), I noticed that one of the headlights wasn't attached properly to the front of the car. The deep-set screw had nothing to screw into because the bit had been bent down. So I bent this back and now it's attached properly.

But I think this has now changed the alignment of the headlight.

So, to the questions:

1 What adjustment is possible? Is it only vertical? Or is there a horizontal adjustment too?

2 What's the easiest way of doing this? I've heard of the wall method but can't remember the details.

Any info would be appreciated, and by the way, I think the knowledge base could do with some expansion. I'd be willing to add my write-ups to it, but I don't think I've got the permissions to edit it. Perhaps the permissions to edit could be spread about a bit? Basically, any work I do on my car, I try to take pictures and write it up, if it's sufficiently complicated.

The lights are adjustable up and down and side to side - I can't remember which adjuster is which, but if you're looking at the back of the headlight housing, there's one at the bottom corner at the high beam end of the casing and one on the top corner of the dip beam (H4) end. They're both adjustable with a fat crosshead screwdriver, from above, with the headlights in place, sorry, can't remember which way they turn, but it should be fairly easy to work it out.

I found an explanation of the procedure for aiming here, it's a US site, but I think the procedure is applicable over here too in principle. Also, if you look on this page about half way down, there's a link to a downloadable pdf which is quite thorough.

Basically it's a question of finding somewhere flat with a wall or garage door you can use for alignment and adjusting them so they're within certain tolerances.

Wall test is how I've been setting lights up from my air-cooled days (one car was too low to use a beam checker and MOT station did the same as below!)

Basically flat surface with wall and 25ft plus car space.

Park against wall, mark brightest point of beam on wall with X of tape, push car back 25ft, and then adjust lights to bring bright spots back to the X's... go back and forward couple times to make sure all is ok.

I did this pre-MOT with the Corrado, and it passed.. as long as your reflectors are ok it should work, or at least get it close enough to be a couple seconds work when it's on the beam adjuster.

^^^^appears to be for a left hand drive, pattern should be a mirror image for right hand drive.

hellainstructions mirror.jpg[/attachment:2zy81ac0]

:lol:

The lights are adjustable up and down and side to side - I can't remember which adjuster is which, but if you're looking at the back of the headlight housing, there's one at the bottom corner at the high beam end of the casing and one on the top corner of the dip beam (H4) end. They're both adjustable with a fat crosshead screwdriver, from above, with the headlights in place, sorry, can't remember which way they turn, but it should be fairly easy to work it out.

I found an explanation of the procedure for aiming here, it's a US site, but I think the procedure is applicable over here too in principle. Also, if you look on this page about half way down, there's a link to a downloadable pdf which is quite thorough.

Basically it's a question of finding somewhere flat with a wall or garage door you can use for alignment and adjusting them so they're within certain tolerances.

Hi, thanks for the answer. I've found finger turnable knobs on the top outer corners, but there are no other knobs like this. There is a sort of white thing that looks like it might be adjustable with a hex socket, but it's hard to say. The last time I did it, I just turned the finger turnable ones and I'm pretty sure they just adjusted the height.

I reckon it's only the height that will be off anyway, as the middle screw not being attached should not really affect horizontal alignment (I hope).

I've looked up my paper Bentley and it says that both adjusters are got at with a long Philips screwdriver through holes in the top of the light and surround. The picture also shows that the outer adjuster is low down.

So, what is the thumbscrew thing at the top of the outer of the lights? It doesn't seem to show up on the picture.