Sign in to follow this  
Purple Tom

G60 caliper question...are they the same as the 8V/16V?

Hi,

I've searched and searched and read and read but still can't find the definitive answer to my question!

All I want to know is whether the G60 shares the same calipers with the 8V/16V cars, as in the Lucas/Girling 54 type single-piston sliding caliper. Can anyone tell me?

I know that the carriers are different to accomodate the larger 280mm discs, but it looks to me like the actual calipers themselves are the same...but I can't be sure!

Thanks in advance for any help :D

Tom

Not quite, same size pistons but the ones for the 256mm setup are not as wide as the 280mm ones...

It's fine to use the 16V calipers with 280mm carriers and discs but you would have to stick with the 256mm type pads which are the same profile but less friction material so they just fit as the discs are also 2mm wider...

The other confusing thing is the calipers known as 'G60' or Girling 60's are a twin pot caliper that was fitted to the Audi S2, these work on a Corrado using 280's and the matching S2 carriers and pads

Ah right, so me describing them as 'G60 calipers' wasn't helping matters either :lol:

Thanks for that, always good to know what options there are available regarding brakes.

It was also this thread that prompted the question:

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=73871

They are advertised as G60 calipers yet appear to be Lucas/Girling 54, so therefore the calipers are the same, or they aren't actually G60 calipers but instead are the 256mm type...

I think it's an assumption a lot of people make, but just because they're stamped the same doesn't mean they're the same caliper ;)

looking at those pics you (I) can tell they are 280mm calipers if you know the slight deviations to look for, but without comparing some 256s and 280s you'd probably think they were the same :salute:

Thanks, I really did get it wrong didn't I :lol: Still, at least I know now, and if I can get hold of some 280mm calipers and carriers then I'll be able to compare them to my 256mm set-up and I'll know the differences then :)