Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Argh!!! MoT tomorrow, fuel leak today. (MoT passed!)

Things were going so well today. I finally managed to get the handbrake surround off and get the handbrake adjusted. I'd waited until it got dark and faced the car towards the brick wall of Hampden stadium and 'bettered' the headlight alignment, but then I smelt petrol.

I could see the bit of the fuel rail where the hoses attach was wet with petrol. I think it must be leaking at that famous rubber hose to fuel rail bit. I've never been happy with the jubilee clips that are there. They're far too harsh. It looks like somebody has shortened the rubber hoses already, presumably to cut off a burst section.

Are these hoses easy to replace? Are they cheap? Please don't tell me they go all the way back to the tank!

I think I'm just going to tighten the clips up a bit to hopefully stop it leaking tomorrow, then fix properly when I've got time. It can't be that bad because I can't actually see it coming out, even after letting it evaporate away.

I know some people use two clips per hose. What's the best type of clip? The OEM? I've seen special fuel hose clips in Halfords. They're very flat and look kind to hoses. Are they any good?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

...Are these hoses easy to replace? Are they cheap? Please don't tell me they go all the way back to the tank!...

...I know some people use two clips per hose. What's the best type of clip? The OEM? I've seen special fuel hose clips in Halfords. They're very flat and look kind to hoses. Are they any good?

What car do you have, I'm guessing a G60. Yes, the pipes are reasonable to change, check out ProdigalSon's thread, he did his a few months back.

btw, if you don't have a G60, disregard this :bonk:

...Are these hoses easy to replace? Are they cheap? Please don't tell me they go all the way back to the tank!...

...I know some people use two clips per hose. What's the best type of clip? The OEM? I've seen special fuel hose clips in Halfords. They're very flat and look kind to hoses. Are they any good?

What car do you have, I'm guessing a G60. Yes, the pipes are reasonable to change, check out ProdigalSon's thread, he did his a few months back.

btw, if you don't have a G60, disregard this :bonk:

It's a VR6! Anybody? Any view on OEM vs Halfords specially-designed fuel clips?

i've not seen the halfords clips, but you can get hose friendly jubilee clips, with a rounded/beveled edge to them and the inside face is totally smooth so nothing chews the hose as you tighten it

Well, I'm pleased to say that my car passed with flying colours today. I take it to a guy in the town I grew up in (rather than where I live) as he never fails it on trivia (although has failed it on brakes a few times, but, on inspection, I've agreed with him entirely any time he's failed it!).

I asked him how it looked and he said "It's really good.". I said I've done quite a bit of work on it recently and he said "Aye, I can see that.".

The only thing that he commented on was that my front number plate has mould growing inside/behind it which is starting to obscure the lettering. I thought he might comment on that. I think I can actually get between the plate and backing to clean it off, so I'll try that.

I'm quite relieved because I've been unemployed for months now after redundancy and I can't really afford expensive repairs right now. Anyone looking for a software tester in the Glasgow area? Look at my write-ups to get a feel for my attention to detail. :wink: