Sign in to follow this  
KIPVW

So what lowering springs then? 30mm ish

Hi all,

Well will be tackling the suspension soon by means of replacing the dampers/shocks with new items and all new bump stops top mounts and bearings (etc)

Question is though will the springs be ok or is it wise to replace them? I spoke with a mechanic i know and he's advised to replace them but says its not essential! So what do you think? Re-fit or replace?

It has the factory set up on at the moment but was going to fit some bilstein B4's which are a direct replacement for the standard shocks, and i dont want to lower the car at all as its my daily 8v

Any thoughts please guys?

Thanks for looking!

Kip. :?

Hi Kip,

I'm on a budget so i'm sticking with the current springs. To be honest, unless they are flaking really badly at either end (i.e. into the metal - MOT failure) then they should be ok. New std springs are about £30 each (rears) from VW last time I checked but as said they are quite hardy.

I gave my fronts a lick of the black stuff before reassembling and they look OEM again.

Not decking it because its a daily, come on Kip thats a poor excuse.....

Only joking, your call really, its always nice to know that something is new, its done then and doesnt need to be worried about for ages. Id probably inspect and recondition, theyll soon tell you if they wnat to play ball...

Cheers for that boy's! Will have a look underneath and see what they look like and maybe just re-paint them! but then replacing will erase the need to take them off again in theory Hmmmm :?

They do sag with time Kip, might be worth it. But she'll probably end up sat a bit higher.

Yep, they sag by about 10-15 mm over 100k miles (but probably wouldn't get any worse than this)

The main issue is the drivers side usually sags more than the other...

TBH - it's nice to put completely new kit on but it's all down to cost... If I had a late VR i'd be tempted to get the earlier kit from VW to lose that 4x4 ride height if trying to stick fairly standard.

TBH - it's nice to put completely new kit on but it's all down to cost... If I had a late VR i'd be tempted to get the earlier kit from VW to lose that 4x4 ride height if trying to stick fairly standard.

Yeah still keep thinking of doing that to the VR steve so maybe when i replace the ones on that i'll do so.

At the minute the 8v sits a little higher than the VR even i'm guessing it has a different rate of spring to cope woth the extra weight, I have to be honest and say even though i like the standard height of the 8v putting new springs on that'll increase the height a bit will look hideous :lol: good for the speed bumps round here though!

I would just repaint/powdercoat the springs and replace everything else.

Springs only really deteriorate badly on heavy cars or through hard use, and the Corrado isn't particularly heavy, esp the 8V.

Should think it makes a very nice commuting car, better than my Arosa :grin:

Sounds feasable KipVR, Yeah its a great runaround really and didn't think i'd enjoy driving it so much!

I would just repaint/powdercoat the springs and replace everything else.

Springs only really deteriorate badly on heavy cars or through hard use, and the Corrado isn't particularly heavy, esp the 8V.

Should think it makes a very nice commuting car, better than my Arosa :grin:

Is your Arosa that nice Peach colour? :norty:

I'm afraid it's not a peachy one :fondle:

It does fourty nine whole horses under the bonnet though. :norty:

Am now thinking of lowering the car slightly as it does look really high, so what do you recomend? how about weitec springs? about £70 for the set. Would these be ok with the bilstein B4 shocks i have?

Thanks!

Sould be fine Kip, just a bit firmer, but then your B4's are too so will probably be a good match. Then again without knowing rates of both it's a bit hit and miss. :shrug:

Pi springs are fairly highly rated by a few people. Dave is test driving mine (I think) so you could see what he thinks about them.

Yeah so i understand mate, but they drop the car around 40mm is that too much for the bilstein B4's ?????

i fitted weitec -40mm springs to my late VR and the front dropped way too much and it drives like crap now, changed them for Pi springs and its still the same, too low and crap to drive.

i almost considering putting car back on standard shocks and springs. Or i buy some coilovers, but worried the minimum drop may also be too low. My suspension has been the bane of my life since i fitted it :(

Cheers 3corsameal, you have basically just confirmed what i think about all this lowering malarky Lol! at the end of the day VW spent hundreds of thousands developing the suspension for the best compromise so why change it!

Thanks for your comment :)

i'm not sure what to do from here with mine, not sure i would be happy with the standard look as when i see the old pics it looks naff to me :( But at the same time it really isn't nice to drive and seems to be shaking itself to bits at the moment.

front before

JimsVR639.jpg

JimsVR67.jpg

After

DSC00408.jpg

DSC01223.jpg

the back didn't drop that much, good comparsion photo

DSC01276.jpg

I have to say mate i'm quite happy with the standard look but just thought if lowering 30mm max it'd be ok but i think i'm gonna keep the old springs on instead of messing with what handles well as it is.