Sign in to follow this  
pete_griff

Oil route around the engine and mocal fitting....

does anyone know which way round the circuit the oil runs on an r32 engine (presume it's the same as a VR...)

if you look at the 7th pic down in the thread here - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=62901&start=105

you can see the take off from the sandwich plate for my mocal. the hole furthest from the front of the car goes to the oil filter and the one closest to the front of the car goes back to the block.

i was of the impression that the oil would run through the filter first and then up on to the rest of the engine, meaning that it would come oozing up through the rear-most-hole in the sandwich plate as you look at it. wound it over on the starter a few times new to try and get it to pump some oil around to show me exactly what's happening with no joy so far. i've made sure there was plenty of oil in the sump and when that didn't work i thought i would need to prime the pump (especially as i've changed the filter), so i filled up the filter from the sandwich plate and also filled up the other hole in the sandwich plate just to be sure.

after that when i wound it over on the starter, the oil was slowly disappearing down the rear most hole and not moving at all in the one closest to the front?

i just wanted to know which way it runs round as i want to put the out-feed for the oil to the bottom of my oil cooler and the return line at the top; just ensure oil pressure is always good and the oil doesn't just drop down through the cooler until it's full - i want it pushed up through the cooler and then on round by the pump if that makes sense....

it might all be unecessary doing it that way (i honestly don't know for certain...) it just seemed to me like the most logical way to do it...

all thoughts/answers/abuse are most appreciated! :)

cheers,

Pete

Is it a thermostatically controlled plate?

no it's not, but that won't make a difference to the route the oil runs around the block though surely?!

like i said - rear-most hole goes to the oil filter; front-most hole goes the the block feed...

cheers