Sign in to follow this  
Tim_R

9a stalling

Hi, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I've got with my 16v. Firstly a bit of background about it, its no longer in a corrado as I transplanted the engnine and KE Motronic system across to my scirocco. I swapped everything across except for the gearbox, which means I don't have the electronic speed sensor on the car and I'm wondering if this may have something to do with one of the isses I have. The ecu isn't logging any fault codes except the speed sensor and even that is intermittant. :confused4:

The biggest problem is that the engine will cut out on dipping the clutch when coming up to junctions. This doesn't always happen, sometimes the ecu catches it at the point the engine almost dies and brings the revs up again to normal idle, other times it will just die as if its been turned off. When this has happened the engine can be restarted instantly and then idles at normal speed.

I'm wondering if the ecu cuts all fuel when coasting on a closed throttle and uses the speed sensor to tell it when to turn the fuel back on for idle, Non of my books on KE mention a speed sensor at all however.

So far I've swapped the ISV for one I've cleaned out.

Brand new rubber boot on the inlet

New inlet manifold gaskets

Changed the metering head for a spare with less miles on that hasn't been tampered with.

I have yet to change the lambda but I don't want to get a new one unless I can prove this one is definatly at fault due to the cost. No error codes in the ecu for it.

If I disconnect the differental pressure regulator and potentiometer on the metering head so the engine runs in K-jet mode the ecu bumps the idle up to just over 1000 rpm and I don't have the problem.

The only other thing I can think of that may be linked is that the idle isn't rock steady, it fluctuates by about 200rpm when warm.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advice.

Cheers, Tim

......which means I don't have the electronic speed sensor on the car

Hi

where do you think this speed sensor is ?

Top right hand side of the gearbox next to or near the slave cylinder iirc. I thought it was just a sender for the speedo originally but starting to wonder if i was wrong.

The 9a doesn't have a normal CPS, it has an inductive loop on nunber 4 ignition lead which gives the ecu the engines position. That said I haven't checked it over that pickup, but assumed the engine wouldn't run at all if the ecu didn't get a signal.

Ok after checking for error codes on the car after taking it out at lunchtime, when it died once, I've got the error

"Mixture control Adjustment Limit - Adaptation limit surpassed - Intermittant".

Sounds like the the usual mixture/idle probs that you can get with 9a's. Try doing a search on the forum for 'lumpy idle', as there's quite a bit already on here about it.

Also try disconnecting the two 2-pin plugs on the engine side of the metering head. And see how it runs. As it will go into a 'default' mode with these unplugged.

I think the connection on the gearbox that you mentioned is the plug for the cable drive for the speedo, and the induction pick-up on the 4th lead worked with a knock sensor. Surely the engines 'position + speed sensor' is via the hall sender + dizzy.