Sign in to follow this  
ben_wooduk

9A Starting issues!!

Hi all

Tried the search with not much joy.

I'm having trouble starting my car when it has warmed up. This happened last winter and has come back this winter. No problem in the summer at a it hasll. Never ever fails to start from cold, just when been drove. i Drove for about 15 mins today, filled up with petrol, then had to wait 15 mins for the car to cool down. If i try to start the car, it just cranks over, without actually starting :(

Any ideas?

Hmm... how does the car actually run when it's warmed up? Is it lumpy or does it feel a bit flat or anything..?

Wondering it it might be the ECU coolant temperature sensor..?

Hmm... how does the car actually run when it's warmed up? Is it lumpy or does it feel a bit flat or anything..?

Wondering it it might be the ECU coolant temperature sensor..?

Idle is up and down on the revs, but when you get going its runs fine. i took it to the garage last year, they said there was nothing wrong with it, and it never did it again, until last week.

It's going to have to be some kind of sensor.. as I understand it the system runs on pre-programmed values when cold and won't start to read in signals from things like the lambda probe, etc until it's warm.

You're not massive miles from Stealth Racing in Southam near Coventry.. they're pretty good at diagnosing faults with these engines so might be worth at least giving Vince a call for advice prior to taking it in for a check up?

It's going to have to be some kind of sensor.. as I understand it the system runs on pre-programmed values when cold and won't start to read in signals from things like the lambda probe, etc until it's warm.

You're not massive miles from Stealth Racing in Southam near Coventry.. they're pretty good at diagnosing faults with these engines so might be worth at least giving Vince a call for advice prior to taking it in for a check up?

Cheers Jim. I've heard alot of good thing about them, but for some reason got it in to my head they were miles away! Will have to call them. I'm gathering they are the best people to have a look at my dodgy idle aswell.

Dodgy idle is usually down to a handful of things on the 16v so probably something you can self diagnose / repair.

Have you had the ISV off and given it a bloody good clean yet?