Sign in to follow this  
zeebrathree

Changing brakes on a 93 2.0 16v Corrado

In this time of credit crunches, falling house prices etc, etc, I am going to attempt to replace my worn brakes on my Corrado!

I am in no way techy minded, but need to save cash! I am going to have to learn (but I will have my brother in law to help who has just built a kit car, so he probably knows more than me!!). I just need to ask you guys, what brakes do I need to buy? I have looked on the GSF website and have been bamboozled with the selection!!

If any of you could list what I need that would be great. Oh and I think it may be a total rehaul as there is a horrible scrapping noise when I apply the brakes!! So this needs to be done I guess asap!!!

Thanks in advance

scraping when you brake normally means the pads are worn back to the metal backing. Do not drive the car with brakes this worn, they are dangerous nad you will also damage the discs.

What do you want to do, just change the pads or the discs and calipers also?

Brakes might be a slightly dangerous place to start if you're completely bamboozled by it all - as obviously you could roll out of your driveway and straight into a huge accident!

But assuming your brakes haven't been swapped / upgraded (and you're just doing the fronts) you're going to want 2x 256MM disks for the front (part number 60175) on the GSF site, 2x brake disk locating screws (part number 62458), some decent brake pads (e.g. EBC GreenStuff's - part number 64520FG), and ideally some Copper Ease and also the brake calliper carrier bolts (get these from VW).

I'd strongly suggest picking up the Pink Passat Haynes manual which would adequately cover doing the brakes on the car (this one) rather than just having a go as it will help you through the process! :)

GSF should be able to provide the correct pads for your car, dont see why they cant.. Ringing them is your best option. However there are other pads to go for, such as 'Green Stuff' pads, try the search its been covered before.