Sign in to follow this  
strimmer

G60 Gearbox onto modified 16V?!?

I have acquired a new engine for me Corrado guys, its over-bored to 1998cc, (not 100% on exact cc) blueprinted, lightened and balanced, gas flowed head with Kent cam (can find out which) and running twin 40/48?? carburettors, rolling roaded to 198bhp.

I've read a lot of good stuff on ratios on the forum here and wondered if for this engine output there are any opinions on fitting a G60 box to this engine, also to ask if the mating of engine and box is a simple affair or do I need to be aware of anything.

Also have an option to acquire a final drive to lower the ratios, something offical VW final ratio a guy has from a previous 4 wheel drive setup, will find out exact detail later. Is it beneficial to lower the overall ratio of the G60 box with the bhp output of the engie in mind?

P.S. Running on 15" rims.

I'd probably go for a mk3 16v box, more suited to the 16v rev range than a G60 one, but slightly longer legged than the 1.8 or 2L corrado 16v boxes (2.0L Corrado one is slightly longer legged than the 2.016v Corrado one too).

The Excel spreadsheet here in the wiki is useful

for example 1.8 16v box:

agc-o2a-16v-gearspeeds.pdf[/attachment:8ghfih55]

That's superb, I had the spreadsheet already but could'nt get my head round entering the data, now I'm away trying box after box. Now I see this I will get the box code to confirm which ratios I've got.

The gearbox comes with a Peloquin diff so I am really sticking to the G60 box, and as its been rebult already I'm not planning on changing any gears or final drive just yet.

I wondered if anyone had experienced using this box, I reckoned with upped power of the 16V the longer box would not be a hinderance to accleration. From the spreadsheet I can expect 170 mph in 5th, eh nooo, I'm not really interested in 5th gear anyway, the car will be properly pushed on track nights at Knockhill circuit next year so I don't expect to need 5th, or maybe I will :o

I suppose I've really talked myself into realising that what will be best is just to fit it and become the wiser for the experience, perhaps it might help somelse one day. But just for now feel free to throw in any advice on the mechanics of the change over if there are any traps to watch out.