Sign in to follow this  
J Corrado

Thoughts and help needed?

Hey everyone, just joined the group after finally wanting to get my old 1.8 16v back up and running. The car has not been driven for about 4 years so will need some resoration which I am hoping to do. Since owning the car there were always problems with the fuel system (looking back through history exterior fuel pump replaced twice) and finally packed up on me which resulted in me purchasing a scooby (sorry!). Anyway I'm looking to complete an engine swap for the rado and restore her back to life. I'm looking to swap to a vr lump and wondered how difficult this would be, is it a straight swap. Any thoughts or ideas welcome. Hopefully when I make a start I will get some pics up of the work in progress.

J

hi, thanks for the replys, really wanted to go the VR route, just love the noise!! Horney, whats the ABF route, is this changing the bottom end??

Cheers guys

J

The ABF is the 2.0 16v fitted to MKIII Golfs, Ibiza and Toledo GTI's and a few Audis of the same era. In standard trim fitted without a cat and with decent intake setup these easily pull 165 - 170bhp. Put on a 4 branch, flow the inlet manifold and get it chipped and you can expect to knocking on the door of 180bhp. Add a flowed head and you'll be looking at approx 200bhp.

You should be able to pick up a lump and the engine bay loom for £250 and it'll go straight on your gearbox and is pretty much plug and play. It won't make the same noise as a VR but it'll keep up with one unless it's been charged.

Nick

As Nick says, and for even simpler conversion retain the K-jet system and just do a "Block-swap" No messing with ECU's etc.. and good for 170 pre-mods...

Makes a Mk2 go really quick! VR beating quick!

if you can get everything from a vr corrado such as

subframe (front and rear and inc the wishbones)

engine

gearbox

ecm

brakes

wiring

exhaust manifold

wheels

you could then unbolt the old engine and slide it out as one big part then slide the new one back in with vr wiring. ive done it and i think anyone handy with tools can do it

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I really wanna get this moving so maybe the ABF route would be better for the minute until I can sourcde all the VR parts needed. The other problem I have is the fueling. As mentioned in the top thread, the car has gone through 3 or 4 external pumps, is this a common failure? Is there anyway of upgrading or changing the whole set up under the rear drivers side wheel? Just can't see any point paying VW dealership near enough £400 for the lot!!!!!!! Currently the car has none of that part of the fueling set up attached.

Cheers J

no definately the external. It had a horrible whine 2 it. Its off now an not in good shape,rusted up. Think there is the fuel filter ie there too which again needs replacing.