Sign in to follow this  
Josh Waddi

Alpine Head Unit & Fusion Sub

Hi

Firstly i have a decent Alpine headunit which wont fit in my 1.8 16V, it sticks out at least 2". Any ideas of whats stopping it fit properly or is there a certian headunit which will fit in?

Secondly i have fitted a Fusion Sub and Amp but to get this to work the revvs have to be on, if its sat idle with the lights on then it wont work, i have to revv the engine for the bass to kick in!!!!

It feels like its getting no power, do i need to upgrade anything or get a new battery?

All replies appriciated, Thanks

It will fit, you just need to 'persuade' it. Make sure all the wires are well out of the way, pulled down behind the heater controls. There also may be a metal bar in the middle at the back of the din slot which stopped the old headunit. You may need to bend/cut this out the way. The last few mm are a real struggle, my Alpine needs a hefty push to get it locked in. Don't be afraid to give it some as long you spread your force evenly across the front of the unit.

No idea about the amp, have you checked all your connections, earths, battery power? It may be your battery is not charging properly so not producing enough power, or that the alternator is on its way out doing the same thing. I'm no sparky so can't help you any more.

HTH a bit.

Cheers for the advise, i can see some lump of metal behind the wires, i will take my hacksaw to it next weekend, hopefully this will sort it.

All the connections etc are fine, how can i check the battery and alternator?

If you've got a multimeter you can check the battery by measuring the voltage on the terminals -- a good battery should show around 12.8V if it's fully charged. If you leave the car overnight after a long-ish drive and it's showing less than 12.5 or so then something is wrong, either it's not being charged properly, or being discharged too fast by some dodgy wiring, or its just really old and knackered and hence not holding it's charge any more. While the engine is running the battery voltage should be around 13.8V if I recall correctly, this shows it's being charged.