Sign in to follow this  
Pastymuncher

Crossover required?

As I've got my door card off (see post about a knackered window), I thought I'd replace my front door speakers. I have the original Nokia units and the door unit looks like a component speaker (in that its not a 2-way, etc). I understand that there are also some tweeters in the dash. Does this mean that the original set-up that came with the car includes a cross-over somewhere? I'd like to replace the dash & door speakers with a component set-up, so does this mean I don't need to bother with a crossover ? Even if there is one, am I better off replacing it anyway?

Cheers,

David

Component speakers will come with all the necessary crossovers & wiring as part of the kit.

If you're fitting component speakers, be sure to use oxygen-free speaker wires (should also come in speaker kit). The factory "bellwire" will not do them justice.

Thanks Steve, but do you know if there is a cross-over already there and if so, where ? I only ask as I'll be doing the job in installments (doors, then dash) and want to know if I need to wack the crossover in from the start (and/or whether there is an old one to remove).

Thanks,

David

Not sure David.

I still have the original dash tweeters in place (powered by CD player) & run my front & rear compnents from a seperate amplifier.

I would be tempted to leave any existing wiring in place (disconnected) & just connect up the oxygen-free stuff.

IIRC the original component system doesn't have a crossover as such, instead it had a capacitor on the back of the tweater to knock off the low range and the door speaker just wasn't sensitive enough to need an inductor to knock off the treble! :? :lol:

I've now got a set of JBL components in the front with a pair of passive crossovers lobbed into the holes below the tweaters... 8) It sounds a million times better! :D

U on oxgen-free Ian ?

I'm a Broadcast Engineer... :roll: I'm running Silver audio cable with gold connectors! :wink: (got 'em cheap.... Back of a lorry styleeee... :wink: :twisted: )

IIRC the original component system doesn't have a crossover as such, instead it had a capacitor on the back of the tweater to knock off the low range and the door speaker just wasn't sensitive enough to need an inductor to knock off the treble!

Cheers Henny, that's what I needed to know.

David

U on oxgen-free Ian ?

virtually all speaker cable is "oxygen free", its just to what degree it is "free" its 99.9%, then they measure the quality in the number of nines after that.

It worth getting some nice cable though, you will be able to tell the difference over the rubbish you get in the box with the speakers.

Thera