Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

Changing a door

Hey fellas and ladies, I've got a door lying around with nothing on it that I need to completely swap over with the one on my car - ie glass, lock, trim, electrics.

Is this an easy job to do or am I better off paying a garage to do it for me? (bear in mind its already been sat around for 8 months lol) What would people suggest is the best way to do it?

depends how much time you have, if you have somewhere warm and dry to do it, and how much you enjoy fiddling with bodywork? I swapped the door and wing on mine recently and it was a complete bas%^$d!! But could have been a lot worse.... in my humble opinion I would have to recommend letting a garage do it! And to be fair I didnt swap much over between the doors as I had a complete spare just the handle really, it would have been even more of a nightmare if I had to do the glass and motor etc...

it's not the most fun job, I reckon the loom connectors were put on after assembly in the factory, they were the worst job, on an early door I somehow managed to get all of the loom and connectors out of the double skinned round hole at the front of the door, a very tight fit though.

window regulators are always a PITA but otherwise it's not too bad, just a lot of cable clips, the loom to the door lock was a fiddle too IIRC.

Think it took me about 2 hours to do the swap first time, a lot quicker after that. That's swapping everything apart from the regulator itself, I did exchange the outer handles, door catch, loom, etc..

Sounds like its too much of fiddle for me, I get frustrated quite quickly with car jobs! Don't really have the space to do it either, my landlord/housemate is getting a bit annoyed with me leaving car parts all over the place. Its going in for an MOT soon so I'll get them to do that as well.