Sign in to follow this  
Serial

Engine out question

Just a quick naive question -- If I take the engine out of my VR6, can I then take the car off the stands and push it around on the wheels or will the suspension fall apart?

The drive-shafts will need to be supported in slings of some sort, and it would be a good idea to put some plastic bags over the inboard cv joints to keep dirt out.

But I think that apart from that you will be ok. Obviously without PAS and servo the steering and footbrake will be a bit heavy.

Best wishes

RB

i can't remember now as it was a while since i did my wheel bearings; but some (most i think actually) bearings don't like being run without some kind of clamping force on them to hold them together and in place (i.e the driveshaft with the hub nut done up on it).

some bearings are effectively in two halves and if you tow/push the car over any significant distance, then the bearings will destroy themselves!

that's all in very layman's terms as i can't remember which type of bearings the corrado has or which type destroy themselves; but you shouldn't need to undo the hub nuts and take the driveshafts out anyway if you are just removing the engine.

That's great, thanks for the advice. Trouble is my garage hasn't got quite enough room to get the engine out of the car at the front and still shut the garage door at the back, so looks like I'm gonna have to shift the car around a bit.

Cheers

Tom