Sign in to follow this  
sim0n_parker

mk3 golf brakes fitting on a corrado 2ltr 16v

i have a complete mk3 vr6 golf im breaking and want to fit all the brakes of that onto the valver i have,

my rear calipers are seized up on mine and the handbrake locks on if i use it.

can i simply swop them over? can i use the same handbrake cables? what discs do i need for front and back as i want to retain 4stud due to my wheels.

cheers

simon

also do the fronts fit straight on?

what do you want to do exactly, your valver is 256 fron t and 226 rear i think, the mk3 vr6 is 280/288 and 226 i thought so you can just put the callipers on your rear brakes with a conversion hose (goodridge make these) as for the fronts - You wanna keep your 4 stud hubs but go 280/288, have a look what size disc a g60 uses.

what do you want to do exactly, your valver is 256 fron t and 226 rear i think, the mk3 vr6 is 280/288 and 226 i thought so you can just put the callipers on your rear brakes with a conversion hose (goodridge make these) as for the fronts - You wanna keep your 4 stud hubs but go 280/288, have a look what size disc a g60 uses.

A G60 uses 280mm discs (4 stud) so you can use them, but I'm not sure if all VR6's used 288 up front. Perhaps the early ones were the same as the Corrado VR6 and thus you can use the mk3 items. Our Golf VR has 288s, but its on a '97 model.

yeah, they did change to the 288s around 1995, but there's a lot of mk3 VR6 16v and 8v GTI's about with 280s on them prior to that, and can often be had for a lot less than a corrado set second hand, because of the included Corrado part-tax :)

so i can use them just need to source the correct discs, and conversion hoses,

The fronts shouldn't need hoses as they are the same fitment, but I'm not sure about the rears. I know that the km4 rears require bango type fitment, but I would 'imagine' that the mk3 ones are the same as the Corrado.

I've got mk3 rears on mine, direct swap for the original mk2 style ones, only the handbrake mechanism design changed slightly, but same fitment to cables. In fact didn't the facelift Corrados all come with mk3 style calipers anyway?

ok cool, only need to fit the rears as my handbrake locks on when i use it, so was going to make sure these are all freed of and re seal them then put these on,

fronts i want to uprate a bit as im doing a vr6 turbo conversion soon in my valver.

so i need to use the g60 brake discs, what pads do i use? also what rear pads do i use? and what rear discs do i use? or does it depend on what calipers they are.

ok cool, only need to fit the rears as my handbrake locks on when i use it, so was going to make sure these are all freed of and re seal them then put these on,

fronts i want to uprate a bit as im doing a vr6 turbo conversion soon in my valver.

so i need to use the g60 brake discs, what pads do i use? also what rear pads do i use? and what rear discs do i use? or does it depend on what calipers they are.

To be fair, I think 280s wouldn't be adequate enough if you are going VR turbot. Might be worth looking into something a little larger....maybe...Seat Leon 305mm discs (4-stud) and the calipers to match...