Sign in to follow this  
Rossco

2l 16v

i know a guy sellin a 2L 16v engine from a mark 3 golf and its runnin some serious brake i was just wonderin how much work would be invloved in fittin it, the mounts and shit look the same but its the elecrtics im worried about, they scare me :shock:

Mines a 1.8 16v by the way

Run it on the Kjet. I reckon you could just fit the inlet manifold and it shoul go OK. You can make the kjet flow more fuel in a number of ways, if it doesn't run perfect.

Obviously using all the management etc would be the nicest way of doing it. You would need the lambda probe fitting in the exhaust for sure, but the rest of it would be pretty much plug in.

Gavin

but this lump has been chipped and is runnin about 170 bhp if i do away wi that and all the digi injection shit will it loose bhp???

Most likely it'll lose a bit. But it is a signifcantly better engine that the C 1800 or 2 litre. NOMEX UNDERWEAR on.

I have a MK3 16V Golf myself. It has plenty of miles on it and on a motorway it goes really well. Nearly as good as my fettled G60 Golf.

You want to get everything from under the bonnet that connects to the engine. That may include the ign key and barrel if the car has the factory immobiliser.

Do you have the facilities to fit it yourself? The electrics needn't be the hardest part.

Gavin

yeh the engine comes with all electrics even the clocks and stuff, would the electrics be quite simple then? i think i have the facilities shouldnt be much ofd a hassle, just the leccy side of things

Not 100% sure Ross, but think that it was due to the more sophisticated ecu and fuel injection system that the ABF came with that gave it the bit more power and bit better torque over the KR. It obvioulsy has the benifit of being newer and technology moves on. To get the best gains out of the engine you would be best to fit the whole lot, ecu etc in to yours, but i am not sure how you would stand fitting the engine as IIRC the ABF 2.0 is the taller block and not sure if you would have to move your mounts to get it under the bonnet?? Don't have a scoobie about the electric side of things but i'm sure you could make it fit if you wanted to! At least you would have all the kit, clocks etc. Worst case, you get it in and run it on the k-jet you would still have a 2.0 over yours and you could get it set up a bit better with something like a K-Star or whatever. How many miles has the 2.0 got on it?? They are nice engines as my mate has one in his Golf, would be something a bit different in the Corrado!! :D

Are you just sick of having some close calls with a certain small silver VW and need more power?? :lol: :lol:

Martin

Are you just sick of having some close calls with a certain small silver VW and need more power?? :lol: :lol:

Martin

Get te fork ye wee bastard :lol: you need to see the back of my motor and my hand, nah im sure it does fit cos it came out of a mk2 golf and seein as its all the same it must have been modded to fit id say?

I will investigate any more info will be greatly appreciated, i remember a bloke in the golf of PVW who had done it i thought he might have been on here. Im just fishin around at the mo i mean i could go and bang in a G60 yahoo but i was just lookin at other alternatives maybe retro fit a 1.3 motor-different

Forum users please discuss :lol:

the two cars use the same fuse box so the wiring should nt be that hard,

if its got a immobiliser it will make it a bit harder but should still be ok.

you ll be able to run the car without the cat aswell which will help with the power

i have a friend with a mk3 16v and its quite torque and not as peaky as the 1.8 16v kr

so wots the overall juice then you guys rekon i should go for it or should i go for a G60 hmmmm demonic howl, tricky one eh

you ll be able to run the car without the cat aswell which will help with the power

To be honest...the cat doesn't rob any power on the ABF.

I've tested the standard cat and a Milltek high flow sports cat for a Corrado VR6...no power gains or losses on my Mk3 GTI 16v...and you can see straight through the Milltek.

Comparing my results to some cars with the cat removed...there's nothing to be gained by removing it, power wise.

Less hassle mind, if you don't need it for the MOT!

you'll get near on 170bhp from a 1.8 KR engine by simply fitting a 1984cc 9A bottom end from a 2.0 passat corrado or audi 80 and having your cylinder head and manifolds ported and polished properly.

Saves a load of hassle with electrics, ECU's etc...

I'm sure the mk3 16v engine may have slightly better characteristics as it's a major redevelopment of the vw 16v engine but not worth the hassle of fitting IMO.

David.

but this lump has been chipped and is runnin about 170 bhp if i do away wi that and all the digi injection s*** will it loose bhp???

jeesus, Cheech not sellin his soul yet? :Lol:

like the man says Ross, might be better fitiing athe 2L bottom end an porting the rest, you have the 2L inlet maniold too, and a lot of people run KR cams on 2L's anyway done they? you just need to find a ported head i reckon, shouldnt be too hard., sell your old one, fit a 2L bottom, find out how to get the best out of the K-jet and your laughing by the sounds of it. if you run a tall block and need more room, run a VR bonnet :D

Sounds a lot but shouldnt be too bad :lol:

Remember, you dont NEED a G60, i let you listen to mine! :lol: :wink: