Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Headlight rebuild.. How to?

Ok have a set of Headlights (ok about 3 sets) to rebuild into a good single set, problem I have is...

I have 2 good buckets with all the tabs, but they both need good reflectors put in...ones in are yellow...

As far as I can see the reflectors are held in by the adjusters on what appear to be clips?

So is there an easy way of removing the reflectors without breaking anything, and as/more important, putting them in without breaking the clips or ripping the silvering?

Also any tips for what to clean the silvering with that won't damage it?

Any advice/tips more than welcome, and I'll try and get a write up for the Wiki done... if I can find the digi-camera.

Not sure on the stripping side, but if the refelectors are anything like the foglight ones only use warm soapy water and be carefull how hard you scrub! As I got stuck in with window cleaner and rubbed off the silvering on mine before I even noticed.... :brickwall:

The little clips holding the reflectors in have barbs on them, you just need a small flat screwdriver to push them away from the clip and it unhooks, it's easy once you've done it once :D

yep small flat screw driver on the three barbed adjusters hold it in place, I made the mistake on first atempt to try unscrewing the adjusters back plate :pale: this plastic plate is held in tight and the plastic there just crumbles when weathered