Sign in to follow this  
Martyn_McG

Crazy ABS, HELP!!!

Naturally my MOT is due next month so the corrado went into self destruct!

Basically one day i set off, got to the end of my street and the abs went psycho and the pump was making all kinds of noises and the pedal pumped up an vibrated a bit if i recall.

it went back to being ok for a few hours and then did it again, my abs light has been on ever since, if anybody has any clues it would be greatly appreciated!

It really is a love / hate relationship with these cars :(

Mine's done this too...

Needs to be plugged into VAG-COM for error messages... short term fix un-plug the front sensors (on shock towers) will diable the ABS but means the pump won't go crazy!

Will be keeping a close eye on this thread... 8)

Happened on mine just driving at slow speeds abs would kick in by itself and light would flash on and off and got an electrical buzz in the cabin as it was kicking in. Took mine to garage hooked up to vag-com needed front abs sensor, rear abs sensor. So more than likely a sensor has gone. But find a garage with vag-com and get it hooked up to avoid any speculation that it could be this or that. Good luck

Mine's done this too...

Needs to be plugged into VAG-COM for error messages... short term fix un-plug the front sensors (on shock towers) will diable the ABS but means the pump won't go crazy!

Will be keeping a close eye on this thread... 8)

Please be aware that your braking will be affected by unplugging the ABS, and driving round with it acting up...

Yep well said Mr Toad GET it VAG-COMMED

Indeed. I don't know where the forum stands if you park your car on a small child because you followed advice on here.... Please use your discretion kids.... :tongue:

Yep well said Mr Toad GET it VAG-COMMED

Indeed. I don't know where the forum stands if you park your car on a small child because you followed advice on here.... Please use your discretion kids.... :tongue:

We could fall in this trap with any tech advice surely?

As I said short term TEMP Fix only, mine had to have this done as it wasn't drivable connected...

TBH no noticable difference with it like this and when it was working... but as I'm used to driving Air-cooled stuff with old-style braking systems I'm always looking a lot further ahead than most... Not saying I'm the world's best driver but this is teh first car I've ever owned with ABS and tend to drive within NON-ABS braking capabilities... :grin:

But yes, follow their advice get it on VAG-COM...

And if anyone in E-london area (or is going to N-Rice tomorrow) has VAG-COM let me know! :wave:

We could fall in this trap with any tech advice surely?

As I said short term TEMP Fix only, mine had to have this done as it wasn't drivable connected...

TBH no noticable difference with it like this and when it was working... but as I'm used to driving Air-cooled stuff with old-style braking systems I'm always looking a lot further ahead than most... Not saying I'm the world's best driver but this is teh first car I've ever owned with ABS and tend to drive within NON-ABS braking capabilities... :grin:

But yes, follow their advice get it on VAG-COM...

And if anyone in E-london area (or is going to N-Rice tomorrow) has VAG-COM let me know! :wave:

There's technical advice, and then there is telling people to unplug a system connected to the brakes. If you take a step back and look at it, should people be giving advice to drive a car with a known fault on a critical system? How would it stand up in court if you were asked if you knew that the car had been tampered with. Fair enough taking your own car apart, but I'm not entirely sure about advising other people.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but with safety related issues, the first advice should probably be don't drive it until you can get it fixed.

VW pulled a fast one on their customers during the late 80's and early 90's. They didn't have any Anti-Lock Braking Systems fully developed so they conned them with the Always Breaking System instead. Monkeys. :help: