Sign in to follow this  
radness

Fuel leak - Cold start injector?

Hi Guys,

I recently topped up the oil in the car, while doing this i spilt a little oil on the inlet manifold. So when i noticed a strong oily smell in the cabin i thought it was just hte oil burning off. I left this for a couple of days but it kept getting stronger and stronger and started to smell more like fuel.

Popped the hood and seen fuel leaking out of the (i think) cold start injector valve? with the engine off it just dropped out about two drops a second. With engine on it had a thin mist and the drops a lot quicker but not gushing out.

Sorry abotu the picture but it's the best i could do at this time of night. The fuel looks like it's coming out of the injector pipe that goes into that housing.

Is it easy to replace? is it a common fault?

Oh, and i've stopped driving it obviously, very lucky that it didn't go boom :p

Is the fuel leaking out of the pipe itself, or around the bolt?

Yup, that's the cold start / 5th injector. Wouldn't say it's a common problem for it to be leaking. But shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to sort out. :wink:

Parts list from vagcat:

Fuel pipe, part number: 027133660K 19 Euro

Bolt: N 90183603 1.25 Euro

Washers (x2): N 0138076 0.08 Euro

You could probably get the pipe form someone breaking a KR on here.

Is the fuel leaking out of the pipe itself, or around the bolt?

Firstly, thanks for the response :)

Yeah it appears to be around the bolt itself, it looks like it's quite small like 3-4 mm bolt? if it's leaking around this would it be just the washer? the pipes look ok to me and i can't see any corrosion on any of the pipes.

Is it safe enough to just unscrew this and replace the washers or will it be highly pressured and fuel leaking out?)

if it's from around one of the fixing bolts then you need to order a new paper/fibre gasket, but it shouldn't spray fuel from here as that's simply the injector to manifold seal.

if it's from the fuel pipe banjo fitting you need a couple of new soft alloy washers, yes, the system retains some pressure after the engine is switched off, but a small rag is enough to catch it all when you crack the union open.

if it's from the fuel pipe banjo fitting you need a couple of new soft alloy washers, yes, the system retains some pressure after the engine is switched off, but a small rag is enough to catch it all when you crack the union open.

Yeah i think it's from the banjo, are these the washers i need;

Washers (x2): N 0138076 0.08 Euro

or are there additional ones i need to pick up?

Is it simple enough to just unscrew the bolt and it all comes apart ? Sorry i'm a bit of a newbie :)

Thanks again for all the responses! We could've lost a rado in a fire hehe

Didn't know that fuel pipe was so cheap (19 euro) - quite a bargain compared to the other injector lines if you buy them from VW..

Yeah i think it's from the banjo, are these the washers i need;

Washers (x2): N 0138076

Yeah, they are the ones. One on either side of where the bolt goes through the fuel pipe. Less than 20p to fix the problem by the looks of it! 8)

you might find just nipping them up a bit more fixes it, although you're supposed to replace those washers each time, they can be reused as they crush to seal when tightening up, so you might even save the 20p :lol: - having said that I think I'd spend the money rather than have a fuel mist spraying around under my bonnet!

are these washers a white sort of color? looked at it today in the light and i can see two washers, seems that the part that these washers are part of is a bit corroded so i might need to clean it up after doign the washers. is it easy to disasemble or should i watch out for something?

yep, alloy washers that will be whitish in colour, just gently crack open the joint/banjo bolt with a rag around to collect the fuel that leaks out, unscrew bolt and refit with the two new washers, I probably wouldn't do it on a hot engine and would disconnect the battery just to be safe

(fuel + sparks = :onfire: )

iirc they were just standard'ish copper type washers on mine.

The banjo bolt should just come straight out with a 10mm(?) socket. I'd remove it after the car hadn't been running for a while, and have a cloth ready below the pipe to catch any fuel that leaks out. Also, disconnect the battery, to remove any chances of sparks.

just beat you to it :)

:lol: :lol: By a whole three minutes by the looks of it! I must be getting slow!

I did beat you to the part number for the washers though! :lol: :tongue:

Took another look at it today, in day light and have noticed its not the washers or the bolt it's actually a hairline fracture in the bend closed the bolt/housing. It just runs down and drips off the bolt so it made it look like it was a washer or something. Not sure why this happened, the pipe isn't corroded or anything.

Anyway, got another injector pipeline from a mate and it's all fitted and working good so far - but im going to replace the bolt washers anyway since they looked pretty done.

Thanks a lot to all that replied, especially with part numbers, you guys rock - without you and this forum i would've traded in a long time ago. :( but having you as a resource keeps my corrado on the road :clap: