Sign in to follow this  
Dalek995

Fuse Box Replacement

Just two short days ago, I was happily driving home from work when my C decided to STOP - not slow down or gurgle then splutter and finally have its last wheeze - just STOPPED!

This being while I was doing around 80mph! :shock: Luckily, I managed to dip the clutch and coast on to the side of the road to await assistance :cry: although having no lights (or power in general) meant that the cars behind me were baffled not to mention P***ed off over what I had done :mad:

Whats the point in all this I hear you ask? Well, having had it looked at by a reputable company, I was informed (with visible proof) that as a result of damp/moisture the MAIN feed from the ignition to the fuse box had melted aroung the bracket that holds it in - as a result, it fell out!

It has now been "fixed" back in place so that it is safe & driveable BUT...I have been advised that the fuse box needs replacing as it ihas also experienced some melting (severity unsure). Soooooo.........

Does anyone know of the cost to:-

a) obtain a new fuse box

b) get it fitted by an expert

OR

how straight forward is it to do it myself i.e. is it just a case of copying the exsisting layout of the original fuse box?

Cheers :(

Which C have you got? There's a late G60 fusebox on ebay at the moment... 8)

Replacement isn't that difficult... It's a case of unplugging the old one and plugging the cables into the correct places on the new box then transferring the relays over too... Not rocket science, but sometimes tricky due to wire lengths (or rather, lack of!)

Good luck!

Its a '92 VR6 - would the G60 fuse box not be the same?

I've no idea if it'd be the same, but I doubt it due to the engine management stuff being totally different... :? I know the box varied massively on Golfs between models, so it wouldn't suprise me if they did the same on the Corrados... I could be wrong on this though... :?

I've just looked on Ebay, and that G60 fusebox went last night... Sorry... :?

Any 89> golf passat, corrado up to about '97 has tha smae fuseboard.

p1ss easy to swap it over, the connectors will only fit where they are meant to fit.

Any 89> golf passat, corrado up to about '97 has tha smae fuseboard.

:shock: Live and learn... 8) I wouldn't have guessed that VW would do something so sensible! :shock: 8)

Hey everyone i recently experienced a similar dilema. basically i had to replace my ignition switch since my old one went bad and decided to burn one of the wires comming out of it. so i fixed that and repaced the wire as well, actually the whole ignition harness. anyway i unbolted the fusebox so i can get behind it and plug in the new harness. after i bolted it back into place the car wouldnt start. it turns and everything seems fine but it just doesnt fire up. then i unbolted the fuse box again and noticed some unplugged connectors. it appears that they go into the fuse box somewhere but i dont know if they where there lose before or not. i want to disconnect all the harnesses and then reconnect them because the lose connectors/harnesses are at the top and i cant see where they go through all that wire. i searched for this and found this post but i wanna make sure that i cant make things worse by connecting stuff in the wrong place. i have a 92 slc and just need some reassurance. by the way, i bought the bentley manual and it should be comming in the mail...will it help me with this...basically...should i wait for it first? thanx again! ( :help: i know....DAMN NEWBIES)