Sign in to follow this  
Dazz

Mk 1 1.8 GTI Water warning light flashing

can anybody help I have a MK1 1.8 and the water warning light keeps coming on every now and again, I check the water and its fine, the oil temp seems fine too stays under 100 degrees. The light has started to flash a lot more often, but the water still seems fine. Does anybody have any idea of what it could be, nice one thanks daz

yeah, MKI water gauges are pants.... I've replace them on all of the MKIs I've had to cure exactly this problem... :roll:

New gauge will sort it out... They're not too expensive either IIRC... 8)

Could the problem with the water warning light be effecting my rev counter because thats also flicks on and off, it seems to be when I have the heating is on full.

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly! :lol:

If you are having problems with more than just the temp gauge warning light, then it's probably the voltage regulator on the back of the clocks that's gone... You can get 'em from places like Maplins for about a pound!

Take the clocks out, and on the circuit on the back, you'll see a black plastic square with 3 pins coming out of it... Take that out (it's just push fitted into the circuit and I think it has a screw through the top of it too) and get a new one from Maplins (or RS or any electronics supplier!) put the new one back in, and see if that cures it... 8)

Very common on Mk. 2's....had the same problem on every one I've ever owned. You may find the light flashes more when it's raining...if this is the case the usual cure is to clean the earth contact. On a Mk. 2 you'd find this bolted to the rear right-hand corner or the rocker cover (as you face the engine bay)...it's a brown and white wire.

May solve the problem, may not....but for five minutes work it's gotta be worth a try, right?!.....assuming of course it's the same set-up on a Mk. 1

bcstudent IIRC it is the same on a MKI.. You'll have to forgive my naff memory on this one... It's 5 years since my MKI moved under it's own steam! :shock: My memory isn't what it once was... :lol: :oops:

Dazz, it's worth checking this wire if you can find one before stripping out the dash! 8)