Sign in to follow this  
russlench

16 HT leads, which?

I'm currently gathering all the part I need for a 9A 16v rebuild - I have a question regarding HT leads.

At the moment I have what looks to be original leads though the knock reference sensor is loose in the engine bay (the one that should be attached to the #4 cylinder lead).

I've spotted some K1 racing leads on Ebay that say they are suitable for for 9A, but they are 10mm, which won't fit throught the reference sensor.

So, my question is what are the implications of not using the sensor? - if it is required what are the best leads to use? - and what are the benefits of using the thicker core performance leads?

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't reckon the thicker leads will make any difference, apart from to your wallet, and they may well wear out quicker because they won't fit the cable guides and clips and will probably end up rubbing on things.

They might look nicer though :)

The beru/VW/GSF ones pull apart to slide the sensor on. I swear by the GSF ones which are identical to OEM as far as I could tell, my last set (I assume they use the same mnfr) has lasted over 10 years and only the coil lead went a bit out of range on resistance after a few years and I swapped that with a generic lead as it has standard HT end plugs.

I'm currently gathering all the part I need for a 9A 16v rebuild - I have a question regarding HT leads.

At the moment I have what looks to be original leads though the knock reference sensor is loose in the engine bay (the one that should be attached to the #4 cylinder lead).

I've spotted some K1 racing leads on Ebay that say they are suitable for for 9A, but they are 10mm, which won't fit throught the reference sensor.

So, my question is what are the implications of not using the sensor? - if it is required what are the best leads to use? - and what are the benefits of using the thicker core performance leads?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have just got some of these and fitted them this morn, they went straight on . there was no sensor attached to the old lead as you say and they seem to work fine. I have to say i did just get them to look good and they do look very bling. i will post a pic up tommorow. p.s- I also have the 2.0 9a.

Have you attempted to unscrew one of the caps at the distributor end to see whether you could get the Ignition Reference Sensor on there? The Beru ones I got from VW Spares did have this and I was able to fit the sensor over number 4 lead ok.