Sign in to follow this  
julz

Help!!! Accelerator cable fell off!!

Hi guys...

Sorry for my first post being a technical one...so here goes.

I've got a 1995 2.0ltr GTi Coraddo and the accelerator cable keeps coming unclipped from the pedal. I've tried everything to keep it on (including cable ties, glue etc) but the minute I put my foot down it pops back off again. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it keeps doing this? Am I missing a clip on the pedal arm or something??

If I buy a new accelerator cable will it come with the clip to solve all my woes??

Hope you guys can help.

Cheers

Julz

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

The rubber (or they are sometimes made of a compressed foam) bushing at the point where the cable attaches to the accelerator pedal is probably worn. A new one will only cost a few pennies form the dealer. OR else I picked up one in GSF a few years back for about 50p

This is the GSF part number you are after:

71324 ACCELERAT.PEDAL BUSH-FOAM CO Manual 0.60

And the VW part number is:

It also costs under a quid! :wink:

OOhh..thank you!! Just to clarify...the accelerator cable actually goes to an arm connected to the pedal..not directly to the pedal (if that makes sense)..is it still the same part??

Julz

£22 from VW and £21 from GSF i would just go to the dealer, its prob tight because they are self lubricating, over time the grime from the engine bay gets in the cable and turns the grease solid, mine has and its starting to snap too, the joy.

I had this problem on a Golf mk2. I replaced the pedal grommit as suggested above, but the cable still popped out. The novelty wears off quickly, especially when it happens on roundabouts!!

The end of the cable is a hook-type affair, the end of the hook needs to be at 90 degrees to the end of the cable, or else it will keep popping out.

A new cable should definitely sort it!

HTH,

Gareth

You're all stars :D thanks guys...getting it all tomorrow...will let you know how it does.

Julz

Right then...got the parts....next question...how does the bush fit in??

Does it just slide in between the two little arms where the cable slides into??

Julz