Sign in to follow this  
sprinterVR6

Help! Rear wheel has collapsed in - Audi S3 '99

last night while reversing my 1999 S3 into drive way, heard load clunk! and got out to see by rear drivers side wheel had collapsed in under the arch about 3/4inch. On closer inspection - the 'tracking arm' (?) has popped out of the ball and socket type thingy :shrug: Also the brake lines obviously being cut as there fluid all over the place.

My questions range from:

How bad is this?

What other structural damage has been done

Anyone similier experiance - cost?

Was there talk of a mass recall on this back in the day?

Additional note: Just got car back from local type fitters after having 225/40/R18 Eagles F1 put on - could these two events be linked? :scratch:

Any help be very welcome :salute:

Does sounds starnge to have happened. Did it feel any different after the tyres were fitted? Im not aware of any issue with the S3, could they have jacked it up incorrectly and casued the problem?

thanks for reply. It didn't feel very different after fitting the tyres. Just the usual 'bedding' in feeling. That said, the roads round my way are shocking, and looking at the linkage that's come apart, it looks like a big crack on a pothole would unsettle it. Which doesn't bode very well to be fair.

Well well:

Official recall A3 Quattro and S3 25/9/2001: On cars built up to March 2000 the bottom rear hub carrier ball joint can corrode and seize, leading to the lower suspension arms snapping at the hub ends. Owners to call Audi Customer Services on 0800 699 888

Well well:

Official recall A3 Quattro and S3 25/9/2001: On cars built up to March 2000 the bottom rear hub carrier ball joint can corrode and seize, leading to the lower suspension arms snapping at the hub ends. Owners to call Audi Customer Services on 0800 699 888

I'd hope they come and pick yours up and fix it for free!

Sounds like you have a very lucky escape mate, had it happened at motorway speeds I dread to think what the outcome would be.

Update:

No Audi (st)Dealer over here will touch my S3 regarding recall on broken part.

As it turned out I broke the rear suspension completely, took out one of the tracking arms and bust the gear linkage seal which explains the gear fluid everywhere :sad:

So they won't fix a known fault on their cars where they had a recall in place? Remind me never to go near a second hand Audi!