Sign in to follow this  
ADZ_VR6

DIY polishing porting, ya or nay?

Right got my new cams from the group buy (Leonard :notworthy: )im not in no major rush to get them fitted as the engine in the car sounds and runs fine. Obviously steath will be involved with the re mapping of the ecu when they are fitted but ive been weighing up my options.

I am no car mechanic and ive never messed with much on a engine but im quite willing to have a go and im not too bad with a spanner. Iceviolet who seems very knowladgable has suggested a head re-build and has a few spare heads kicking about so that looks like the route to go down so the cars not off the road too long.

Now to the question, is trying to polish and port the head yourself a waste of time, looking on google theres a few companys that will do this but the gains dont seem worth the cash (and im tight). There are lots of guides on how to do it yourself but is it worth it, i did a search on here and in one of the threads i looked at, i think it was Kip said doing it wrong can lower bhp?. so is it worth a try without some means of testing or is it pot luck with flow. Im not looking for great power increases but i thought if id time on my hands and it could give a few bhp then id have a go. Sorry to open a can of worms people, but i cant find a good answer anywhere (And i cant afford a charger at the mo before someone throws that in :lol: ) so let the debate begin :salute:

The VR is a nice and simple head layout, so I would give it a go. Just don't do anything drastic and you'll be fine, but as you already know don't expect any huge gains. :D

Did I say you'd lose bhp or was it KipVW? I don't remember saying it but that's quite right, you can make things worse but given the limited amount you can do to the VR head anyway, you'd have to be doing something prettey radical to mess it up. Just to make sure I would just smooth rough edges and surfaces off as per the guides and no more.

Apparently the main way people mess up is when they increase the size of the inlet manifold ports too much when trying to match them up, the larger size actually reduces the air speed locally around it creating turbulence just before the inlet valve which isn't good, but I think it's just where people have gone a bit ott with the dremmel....

Take picces if you do it, I'm sure many on here would like to see the results. :grin:

hey again adz.

just to echo what Kip has said; i would say you should give it a go, but only go as far as smoothing the rough edges of where it has been cast. (what i thought actually when reading the thread title)

you would have to get a bit radical to cause problems, but people do end up doing it by mistake trying to chase those few extra horses.

if you do want a proper job though, then you should go to a known reputable tuner who you know has a flow bench - there's absolutely no substitute for that.

just go easy with that dremel! :norty:

Did I say you'd lose bhp or was it KipVW? I don't remember saying it but that's quite right,

Sorry mate wrongly accused :norty: it was pete_griff i associate you both with your avatars for some reason lol sorry :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65767&p=763918&hilit=polishing+cylinder+heads#p763859

the reply about puma racing sorry again mate

No dramas mate!!

I was only thinking of deburring and polishing not trying to bore i just wanted reassurance that i wasn't doing the wrong thing cheers fellas :D