Sign in to follow this  
radness

Fuel Cap Rusted

Hi Guys,

I'm sure im not alone with this issue but i've noticed that the rim of my fuel inlet is all rusted (the bit were the cap screws onto). I also notice that whenever it rains water lies in the fuel cap area and never leaves unless i dry it with a piece of paper. This is a pain.

Has anyone resolved this issue? is it easy to replace the rusty opening?

I assume this is affecting my fuel system pressuring as i NEVER hear it depressurise when i unscrew, ever other car i've had depressurizes when opening the cap. I guess the rust bubbles are creating leaks.

Anyway, any ideas?

Thanks

There is a hole below the fuel cap that allows water to escape that is probably blocked, happened on mine just got a long bit of tubing and pushed it through the hole to remove the blockage!

I would also suggest that you remove the rubber boot and clean out behind it as that area is a real dirt trap and it builds up and stays wet which is probably adding to the rust problem.

What does this have to do with your engine? :scratch:

Moving ..

If it rusts over and i can't put the fuel hose in and my poor engine won't start ;)

thanks for the move buddy

thanks for the suggestions, never knew about that drainage hole, must be badly blocked for me to not even notice it :p Any way to remove the rust on it though ? i don't fancy sanding it down considering lol

just thought i'd update;

yup drainage hole FILLED with rust. I basically found the drainage hole by feeling inside the wheel arch, it's over to the slight left of the fuel cap, stuck a small screw driver up it a few times and cleared out all the crap. drains wonderfully now.

Good stuff mine kept doing it for years always thought it was a fuel leak but turned out to be water glad you got it sorted!!