Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

9a cams... Stock/KR inlet/ABF?

Continuing from Here as it's been locked...

I'm completely confused! :scratch:

9a, with Cat what's best? KR Inlet (which i have in the shed) or pair of ABF's?

Would like to know as Driving in London a lot means Torque is needed rather than high end revs, but would like some Useable poke at the 4k on mark for when I get out of town...

Looking at the First Graph Dave posted (From Stealth) 149ft/lb @ 5200 seems quite handy over the stock 128ft/lb @ 6300 plus looks like it picks up better low down too!

Also the 50mm inlet question... does it hurt low-down torque? Or a worthwhile Mod on a KR/9a hybrid engine?

If you have a KR inlet, fit that, no known issues with that combination when running a CAT on a 9A and it will feel livlier over 4000 rpm.

Swapping to a pair of ABF cams will probably not make much difference over that due to their different combination of lift and duration.

What we don't know is how an engine would behave on a KR exhaust and an ABF inlet, it's possible the increased overlap would cause problems for a CAT equipped car.

Stick with the 42mm inlet.

:)

Cheers Dave, Cat will go as it's a 92 9a so can be binned.. legally! :clap:

Any ideas about the reported 027 "Big valve" KR heads/ cams too?

Seeing a lot on ED but we all know it's "Scenery" over there?

Just wondering if there's any point swapping over to these too? Or is a KR cam a KR Cam?

Jon, you want low end torque AND a push at 4000rpm?! Good luck finding that without variable valve timing mate.

...it's called a turbo.... ;)

the different head casts wont make a noticable difference. The corrado normally has the later type which has the smaller inlet and bigger exhaust ports

Jon, you want low end torque AND a push at 4000rpm?! Good luck finding that without variable valve timing mate.

"Nah bro I get one of dem Shiznit electric superchargers of e-bay innit! Dey Da Bomb!"

:epicfail:

Jon, have a look at the torque read out from Stealth that Dave posted on page 2 of the Original (Linked) post.

You'll see what I mean by looking at the Red trace (stock 9a) and the Blue one (9a and KR).

Peak Torque, Stock 126@6300: 9a and KR 149@5200

my personal favourite :D

before and after plots from Stealth when they set up the fuelling a couple of years back for my flowed head.

127-2747_1024img.jpg[/attachment:100l9kyp]

if you compare it with the other cars run at stealth the torque at just over 2,000rpm is 25-30 lb/ft more than the aftermarket cammed cars.

Who did your headwork matey? What is the actual difference in terms of driving between KR and ABF inlet cams? Im not going to lie, i dont understand this lift and overlap business lol. Also, J was telling me not to bother with the 50mm inlet, what kind of difference would i notice with it? I dont mind losing some low down power (my rado spends half its time about 4k anyway lol) but like J live in london and do tend to do lots of low speed driving so dont want to make the car undrivable!

Oh, my cars a 9a btw, going to be running a decat, 2 box system soon. Not sure on the bore of the zorst though :confused4:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, last question, how much power is the decat worth realistically speaking? Would i actually notice the difference? I dont want to decat and take the risk of a 1k fine if i get caught and have mot hassles for no reason other than avoid scraping it everywhere lol.

J, sorry for the hijack, dont want to make another thread for no reason!! :grin:

Thanks,

Abdul

Not sure where specifically but ive heard that from quite a few of the local chaps who seem to refuse to run decats lol. How much gain is there to had from a decat and how much loss from a 50mm?

Cheers