Sign in to follow this  
mikehiow

standard alarm?

Quick question, I've just been looking through the book of receipts for my 94 VR6, I noticed a letter from a garage stating the car has a Scorpion 5000 alarm system. Presumably the letter is for insurance purposes.

How can I check if the alarm is still functional? I wasn't supplied any keyfobs with the car, and there is no audible of visual sign of an alarm when locking the car with a key. I also noticed that the little red led (right of the steering wheel) has been snipped behind. There is however, still a siren under the bonnet.

So can I check if the alarm still exists/works? And also, where can I find replacement keyfobs, and can I code it myself?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

I'm guessing if there's no key fobs then the immobliser (if that system has one) isn't working. Keyfobs aren't cheap (prob £70-100) and sounds like it may need some new wiring so you're probably better off getting a new one fitted. Cat 1 alarm / immobilisers should be around £260-£300, alarm only from about half that.

Otherwise if you still want to try and resurrect the old one then get out the yellow pages and look for auto electricians. Any of them should be able to test it and tell you fairly quickly what's what

It's not even worth the trouble trying to get the old one back up and running again mate.

In order to get new fobs for it, the main control unit for the alarm would have to be removed and posted back to Scorpion so that they could code you some alarm fobs for it. That would probably cost you a fair few quid in time + the key fobs. Even when you got it back you'd need a new siren for it, and you can't even get the alarm certified as it was declassified as a CAT1 alarm by Thatcham years ago.

Just get a nice shiny new CAT1 alarm fitted by a reputable alarm installer and rip the old one out.

Alternatively if you really don't want to shell out, if you're willing to wait, I plan to be ditching mine in the not too distant future and you're welcome to my one working fob (and 3 not working / not coded fobs) as well as the wiring / ECU / siren for the cost of the postage!

I got a toad alarm from ebay with an insurance certificate and instructions on how to wire it up for £116, wasn't too difficult to do and personally I don't trust 99% of installers to do a good job, time is of prime concern to them and it often shows, even my oe dealer alarm was shockingly bad. :?

I got a toad alarm from ebay with an insurance certificate and instructions on how to wire it up for £116, wasn't too difficult to do and personally I don't trust 99% of installers to do a good job, time is of prime concern to them and it often shows, even my oe dealer alarm was shockingly bad. :?

If your insurance find out that you fitted it yourself, your insurance will be invalidated... even if you're involved in an accident, they could get out of paying up due to this! :gag: I got nearly got stung by this when J-DUB was written off... fortunately the tracker I had fitted was additional to the cat1 alarm that I'd had fitted, but even so, it screwed up the agreed value, so I didn't get all the money I should have done for her... :brickwall: :(

Any electronic security needs to be fitted by a certified installer to get the insurance approval.... no matter how badly it was installed...

They won't know, however, if you've then re-done the installation to tidy it up and make it even more secure... :wink: :ignore:

It's not even worth the trouble trying to get the old one back up and running again mate.

In order to get new fobs for it, the main control unit for the alarm would have to be removed and posted back to Scorpion so that they could code you some alarm fobs for it. That would probably cost you a fair few quid in time + the key fobs. Even when you got it back you'd need a new siren for it, and you can't even get the alarm certified as it was declassified as a CAT1 alarm by Thatcham years ago.

Just get a nice shiny new CAT1 alarm fitted by a reputable alarm installer and rip the old one out.

Alternatively if you really don't want to shell out, if you're willing to wait, I plan to be ditching mine in the not too distant future and you're welcome to my one working fob (and 3 not working / not coded fobs) as well as the wiring / ECU / siren for the cost of the postage!

If you could keep me in mind, and drop me a pm when you do so, it'd be much appreciated.

I have been looking at the Toad ai606's, which it seems can be picked up for little more than £100. Where is the standard alarm located? It'll be interesting to see how difficult it is to remove the old and fit a new. I'm competent with electrical stuff, it's a big part of my job :)

If your insurance find out that you fitted it yourself, your insurance will be invalidated... even if you're involved in an accident, they could get out of paying up due to this! :gag: I got nearly got stung by this when J-DUB was written off... fortunately the tracker I had fitted was additional to the cat1 alarm that I'd had fitted, but even so, it screwed up the agreed value, so I didn't get all the money I should have done for her... :brickwall: :(

Any electronic security needs to be fitted by a certified installer to get the insurance approval.... no matter how badly it was installed...

They won't know, however, if you've then re-done the installation to tidy it up and make it even more secure... :wink: :ignore:

I haven't done yet, but I was going to get a Toad mobile installer I know to sign it off for me having checked it's all ok, but the existing certificate is pre signed by an approved installer- dodgy i know!!

Where is the standard alarm located
If it was like mine, it'll be strewn all over the place behind and under the glovebox, not securely mounted to anything but flapping about so that the wires can chaff on bits on the dash metal brackets, well done VAG :?