Sign in to follow this  
Purple Tom

Steering Rack - Where From?

Hey,

I'm in need of a new rack for my Corrado, its done 164k and starting to get a bit sloppy now.

I rang my local TPS and they quoted just over £700 (!!!) for a new genuine rack - this is way more than the price I've heard bandied around on this forum, can anyone confirm the price for me?

The car is 1995 2.0 8V, RHD, but I presume the rack is similar for most cars, it just seems to be the steering arms/track-rods that vary depending on whether its widetrack or not.

Also, if the VW price IS accurate, can anyone give me any advice as to where else to get one from? A friend who works in the trade has said he can get one for £125 exchange, but without sounding too fussy that sounds a bit cheap and I reckon its only likely to be have been lightly refurbed if its that cheap. Ideally I'd like something that will last more than a year or two.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

im sure ive heard that an exchange one is circa £300.

i geuss its cheap because he will be getting it at trade price, id go for it dude if i was you.

just my 2penneth!

if you search around (web search) there are a number of steering rack suppliers that do refurbed rack for around 150 quid upwards, GSF and Euro Cart parts should supply them too. Results vary though, although they may come with a 12 month warranty they are built from used parts that are 'within tolerance' and a fair few people have experienced early failures from them.

If you can find one, a low mileage pre 2002 ibiza cupra rack/ or pre 97 toledo 16v is the same, as is a mk3 GTi/16v/VR6 rack, other seat/polo/golf racks are similar but slower/lower ratios.

I had one a few years ago from eurocarparts, it was a genuine re-con rack cost about £250 exchange.