Sign in to follow this  
casual

ABS

can anyone tell me if im right in thinking the ABS light should light up with the ignition? im pretty sure it does (well mine doesn't) any mojor faults with these?

i think im going to pull out the abs box/button in the dash and make sure no monkey has pulled out the light or something.

cheers casual :wave:

yeah it was dissconneted, but the light stays on now it is connected hmmm me think a monkey has been tampering! :bad-words:

only brought the car early on in feb, and its just sitting in my garage until end of march for insurance so i need to get this sorted out. going to ring up bloke who i brought it off.

do they have sensors in each corner?

is there an ecu or is it a valve type?

any ideas?

Yes one sensor per wheel wired to an ECU behind the kick panel in the passenger footwell. The ECU is prone to water damage (usually from leaking screen or fresh air intake). The valve module for the ABS is under the bonnet R/H side at the back of the engine bay. You will also notice on each suspension turret under the bonet a black inline plug. These are connected to the 2 front wheel sensors.

Put your foot on the brake pedal when you turn the ignition and you should feel a pulse at the same time that the ABS light should go out, assuming the bulb works/is plugged in. The pulse in the pedal (or lack of), should be a good indication as to whether your ABS system is alive or whether it's just a missing bulb. Of course you could also find a gravelly (sp? lol) car park somewhere ;)

Yes one sensor per wheel wired to an ECU behind the kick panel in the passenger footwell. The ECU is prone to water damage (usually from leaking screen or fresh air intake). The valve module for the ABS is under the bonnet R/H side at the back of the engine bay. You will also notice on each suspension turret under the bonet a black inline plug. These are connected to the 2 front wheel sensors.

cheers for that gives me a good idea where to start

casual :wave:

Put your foot on the brake pedal when you turn the ignition and you should feel a pulse at the same time that the ABS light should go out, assuming the bulb works/is plugged in. The pulse in the pedal (or lack of), should be a good indication as to whether your ABS system is alive or whether it's just a missing bulb. Of course you could also find a gravelly (sp? lol) car park somewhere ;)

i will try that tomorrow, see how it goes. that was going to be my next test, stamp on the brakes. or mayb wait for this snow to arrive!

let ya know if its dead or not

Best thing to do is get it plugged into VAG-COM it should tell you what the problem is. It could just be one of the sensors. Hopefully the fronts, the rears are alot more expensive for some reason.

yeah i got a kick back from the pedal, right front sensor seems to be working, but i go distracted and ended up playing with brakes all day.

il check the rest of them soon as.

Ive got the same problem and MOT is looming. I get the pulse (so I assume the ABS pump is ok)but the light stays on which Im hoping is just a sensor. I was thinking of sticking some tape over the bulb to get through the MOT, do you think Id get away with that?

Ive got the same problem and MOT is looming. I get the pulse (so I assume the ABS pump is ok)but the light stays on which Im hoping is just a sensor. I was thinking of sticking some tape over the bulb to get through the MOT, do you think Id get away with that?

Wont wash with Mr MOT man i dont think. The car will show as having ABS.

not unless you know them very well :lol:

i think im right in thinking that if it was a sensor fault it would not show up as it takes 1 revolution of the wheel before they sense anything. i think mine is possibly a wiring fault but we shalll see. the corner i looked at wknd was heavily corroded and plug contacts so wont hurt just tryin a clean up first

tryin to get hold of vag-com to see if i can get any further info.