Sign in to follow this  
mr.ots

Speaker upgrade options?

I recently upgraded the head unit in the C to a Sony MEX-BT3600U which is great as I can use it for handsfree phone calls via Bluetooth and also slot my 16GB USB key in the front and listen to MP3s.

The only problem now is the standard speakers are letting things down so I’ve been looking at the possible options for upgrading and came up with the following:

Infinity Kappa 50.9CS components up front

JBL or Infinity Reference 4x6 rears

Infinity Basslink mounted in the boot

I have two questions:

The head unit is rated at 52w x 4 and I was wondering if this is sufficient to drive the Kappas or whether they need to be driven with an amplifier, otherwise I would look at getting the Infinity 5020 Reference series instead.

Has anyone fitted the JBL GTO 6428 or Infinity REF6422CF in the rear enclosures and do they fit without any modding or would I need the JBL GTO 6427e speakers.

Any advice welcome.

You really need to amp component speakers to get the best out of them, otherwise you're best off sticking to the originals.

Fitted the Basslink to the system tonight and what a difference it has made, I'm amazed at the amount of bass response this little box can produce.:shock:

Now that I can dial out some of the low frequency that was going to the front speakers I can drive them a bit harder without distortion and they sound much better just handling the mid frequencies.

I think I'll run things with this setup for a bit and decide whether I need to change the front speakers but on first impressions I'm more than happy.

If anyone is looking for a bit more low end oomph I would highly recommend the Infinty basslink. :D

The Basslink is indeed a great solution on the Corrado. You really don't need to amp the speakers to get a reasonable sound in the Corrado unless you're an audiophile quite frankly.. my previous Corrado came with a Infinity Basslink and some focal component speakers up front, powered off a Sony headunit. They only started to buckle if you really turned it up REALLY loud. At even uncomfortable volumes the sound was clear and punchy!

Can anyone suggest the best positon to mount the basslink in my boot in order to get the best sound. I currently have it against the back seat with the speaker facing towards the tailgate. It sounds a tad boomy at times. Has anyone experimented with this?

Also, does anyone have any alternatives for mounting the unit without screwing it to the boot floor?

basslink sounds gd how big are they ?would it fit under the boot carpet instead of spare wheel?

cheers mort

do you have to run rca cable to it or can i run the normal speakr cable to it as i have no pre outs as its a vw sat nav head unit

cheers mort

it can run from either RCA or your speaker cables. The unit comes with the cables you need to connect to your speaker wires.